Making backing tracks

sws626

Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:53 pm

Does anyone have any experience with making backing tracks (drums & bass) with tools like Band-in-a-Box or any of the more sophisticated DAW tools? If so, what tips can you give to a neophyte?

-Stuart

Lavallee

Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:42 pm

Glad you brought that up, Stuart,

I was thinking of buying a drum machine but if there is a free way (don't mind paying if it is the only good way) , I would love to know about it. Daryl and Chris and Al know many tricks on that subject, hope they will jump in. I have used Audacity and moving to the left side cutting the right side which is normally the guitar leaving the drum , bass and singer on the left. But it is not always clear. Daryl suggested a site showing back track of specific songs once but the number of songs are a little limited. What would be great is a system (software or hardware/software that can take any MP3 (I know they are compressed and it is not the best quality) songs and remove any part I want.

Marc

neverfoundthetime

Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:46 pm

I have had mixed success of stripping the centre vocals out of songs. Often the result is not as good as you need. More I don't know I'm afraid... sound like pro territory to me.

AndyT

Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:48 pm

Check this out. I don't think Matt will mind this one.

http://www.guitarbackingtrack.com/

And the best part is it's FREE.

sws626

Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:13 am

Thanks Chris, Mark & Andy,

I've listened to some of the pre-packaged backing tracks on guitarbackingtrack. But I was put off by the fact that almost all had keyboards in them. I'm just looking for a drum or drum and bass. I know that I can compose these in Sonar with all sorts of flexibility. But that's a tedious process and I really don't know enough about drums to create anything interesting with that. I've also tried stripping away vocals and guitar, but with limited results (basically panning the stereo image or copying, inverting the phase and combining the center image to remove the vocals and whatever else is centered). Band-in-a-Box looked promising, but isn't all that flexible. I suspect there's no substitute for investing more time in this, but for me the time is probably better spent playing the guitar.

-Stuart

willem

Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:18 am

On this moment i search for example on you tube for backingtrack's or music played by diffrent instruments,,,when i found i combine my BOSS BR with the computer and record it..i record not with the inbuild mike but the line in for the extended mike on the BR and the earphone on the computer..i do that also with songs i want to study 'cos i can slow down the BR...I have not study it yet but i can do lot of treatment with the sound on the BR..

I WAS SUPRISED WITH THE QAULITY AFTER RECORDING THAT WAY,, ITS ALL DIGITAL MUSIC I THINK....

tombo1230

Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:38 am

I use a DAW on my laptop. There was a free drumkit software came with it but unfortunately it doesn't work. I have been thinking about using guitar pro to make a drum loop or edit, as I recently found a lesson on it on utube. Haven't got round to it yet, too busy playing guitar and working. Might be worth trying. Also you can buy drum wavs on ebay, you would have to edit them together.

Tom N

ffsooo3

Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:55 pm

Lavallee wrote:
Glad you brought that up, Stuart,

....What would be great is a system (software or hardware/software that can take any MP3 (I know they are compressed and it is not the best quality) songs and remove any part I want.

Marc
Unfortunately, it is technically impossible to isolate an individual instrument or voice from an audio file. :(

Lavallee

Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:41 pm

Thanks for clarifying this Daryl. Maybe you could elaborate how you generate your backing tracks (again). You had mentioned how you did that but I was not ready then.

Thanks

Marc

ffsooo3

Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:02 pm

Marc, The only backing track I seem to remember (I forget many many things) is the one for "In My Life". For that one, I stumbled upon a reasonable midi file. The drums and bass parts were good but the harpsichord/piano part was all wrong and I fixed it. Are there some other backing tracks you were thinking of? I'll go looking to see what I have tomorrow......

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic