The TwoCat "Q (and hopefully) A" Thread

TGMatt

Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:44 pm

First...........probably put this thread in the wrong place. (Has anyone consider a heading, QUESTIONS BY BEGINNERS..?

I can do nothing but offer thanks to anyone who tries to help me. IF I get to heaven before you, maybe I can put in a good word! Big IF........

1. Working with "The Weary Kind".. I see this.."Rhy. Fig 1" What does that mean?

2. What does "hold throughout" mean.

More later......

Samster

Music Junkie

Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:52 pm

Hi Sam!

Questions eh?! :P

But uh....is it a Target Song? Where can I see it?

RicksPick

Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:10 pm

Hi Twocat

I can only guess at the Mo but,

1. Guess its a guide to the stumming pattern? ups and downs

2. Hold that note so it carries on ringing, dont let go untill you have to change note/chord, or possibly a common note between chords?

With out a better reference thats all I can do, hope it helps

RicksPick

michelew

Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:10 pm

Tomcat,

'Rhy fIg 1' - is short for rhythm figure 1. When a piece of music has many repeating sections, fingerpicking piecees especially, tab is often written out in full for that section of guitar music once and then when it occurs later, instead of writing it out again the music may simply say 'Rhy fig 1' or what ever number rhy section it is. It is short-hand and allows the transcriber to then just detail the vocal music line and any any unique music. Often there will be more than 1 rhythm section written in this way. You just need to learn how to play the section and then repeat it wherever the 'rhy fig 1' occurs. It will often show you where the use of that pattern finishes too.

"hold throughout' - well it general means hold the notes, let them ring throughout the indicated section. It should indicate which notes it refers to.

I haven't seen the music, so there could be other details I'm missing. I'm sure Someone will jumping and correct me if I'm wrong or have missed something.

Enjoy. Good luck.

Michele

Music Junkie

Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:19 pm

Samster:

If it is not a Target song, you might want to upload a pic of what you are alluding to, so we an get an idea of what you mean. With all of the terms in music (many of which are misused constantly - mostly by me.... B) ), it is hard to interpret. Hold throughout might mean to "Let Ring" . Rhy fig. 1 probably refers to a chord progression or a strum pattern from a particular part of a song. Check back in with some additional info..... :)

MJ

TGNesh

Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:21 pm

Well a big AMEN! :cheer:

michelew wrote:
Tomcat,

'Rhy fIg 1' - is short for rhythm figure 1. When a piece of music has many repeating sections, fingerpicking piecees especially, tab is often written out in full for that section of guitar music once and then when it occurs later, instead of writing it out again the music may simply say 'Rhy fig 1' or what ever number rhy section it is. It is short-hand and allows the transcriber to then just detail the vocal music line and any any unique music. Often there will be more than 1 rhythm section written in this way. You just need to learn how to play the section and then repeat it wherever the 'rhy fig 1' occurs. It will often show you where the use of that pattern finishes too.

"hold throughout' - well it general means hold the notes, let them ring throughout the indicated section. It should indicate which notes it refers to.

I haven't seen the music, so there could be other details I'm missing. I'm sure Someone will jumping and correct me if I'm wrong or have missed something.

Enjoy. Good luck.

Michele

michelew

Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:22 pm

Hallelujah! :) B)

michelew

Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:26 pm

Hahaha! :laugh:

michelew wrote:
Hallelujah! :) B)

danam71

Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:40 pm

Thanks!

All of this has been most helpful. michelew seems to have a good explanation, so I'll look at it from that angle.

No, it is not in Target.

Can I scan and post the first page without violating copyright laws?

TwoCat

sbutler

Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:01 pm

In the imortal words of Flip Wilson

"You never know what you can do until you try"

Of course I doubt that he would pay your lawyer fee if there was a copyright thingie. :)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic