The TwoCat "Q (and hopefully) A" Thread

tombo1230

Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:03 pm

'Totally Acoustic Rapid Guitar Excellence Training

I'm happy we call it just Target! ;)

Cheers!:

I'm glad someone filled in the name. Thanks Nesh :)

Tom N.

KennyF

Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:24 am

Hello Again........(Must learn that song!)

Another question for the GP6 users:

I just received Neil Diamond's "Play Me" and I can't figure it out. Why this music is written for piano, I don't know. Anyway, if I buy GP6, can I create my own .GP6 file and have the program play this so I can see what it sounds like in piano and then guitar?

This song starts with a dotted half note with a eighth rest written directly above that note. How do you play and rest at the same time?

Oops! That was two questions.

Thanks!

TwoCat

willem

Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:34 am

twocat wrote:

I just received Neil Diamond's "Play Me" and I can't figure it out. Why this music is written for piano, I don't know. Anyway, if I buy GP6, can I create my own .GP6 file and have the program play this so I can see what it sounds like in piano and then guitar?

This song starts with a dotted half note with a eighth rest written directly above that note. How do you play and rest at the same time?

Thanks!

TwoCat

You write the piano/sheetmusic in the program (it is for guitar) and see what the tab is coming with,,maybe you have to make some changes..

Music Junkie

Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:18 pm

willem wrote:
twocat wrote:

Thanks!

TwoCat

You write the piano/sheetmusic in the program (it is for guitar) and see what the tab is coming with,,maybe you have to make some changes..
Willem is correct. You can input on the staff portion instead of on the tab portion and GP will create the tab for you as you go. It may not ALWAYS use the particular string/fret position you might choose though. I cannot really comment on the intuitiveness of the program, as I have not tried to use it in this manner too much. Give it a go and report back though. Also, look at our group section, specifically the GP group and see what info is in there. Another great place to post a question related to GP. Much smarter users in there than me. I have gotten great feedback from that group. You might put a shout out to Chas as well. He is very helpful with GP.

Here is a link to the GP Group: http://www.totallyguitars.com/allcommun ... ammes.html

MJ

willem

Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:39 pm

twocat wrote:
[quote]This song starts with a dotted half note with a eighth rest written directly above that note. How do you play and rest at the same time..

Yeah twocat,,you must see the notes with the stemp up as de melody line(your rest belongs there) and stemp down as the accompaniment but this is piano writting,,''but if you play the rest on the guitar you don't hit anything there,just thinkin..lol''

Some times they write for guitar the same way,,,stemp up(melody) stemp down(well you know by now).. look at some of Neil's instrumentals

MarkM

Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:49 pm

Thanks, People........

Within the next few days I will buy the program and try the input. I'll report back.

Sam

Chasplaya

Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:40 pm

twocat wrote:

Thanks!

TwoCat
I'm not quite sure what you mean about the sheet music issue you have maybe if you could post a jpg. of it that might help. As far as GP6 is concerned you can easily transpose any sheet music to it, you need to remember that if its written for piano it will be different for guitar, also piano music is written with playing with both hands so it is different, maybe some of music theorists should jump in here or a piano player...

spinland

Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:07 am

Folks, I know I'm bein' a bug, but that's my nature........

Could a piano player or someone who can read music help me?

Take a look at the first bar of "Play Me". This is in 3/4 time, which to me means there are three beats per measure and each beat is a quarter note. Am I right so far?

Look at the dotted half note. That alone would satisfy the measure as it is three quarter beats. But above it is a rest. What's with that? Then, in that same measure, there are five 1/8th beats. I can play this on both the guitar and piano and it sounds nothing like Neil Diamond or the karaoke version by Sound Choice. (Sound Choice is very excellent at reproducing the sound of the original recording.)

I plugged this into GP6 and played it on the acoustic piano (yes, it plays piano on the grand staff) and it still sounds off.

What puzzles me is why I can't play the sheet music exactly as written and have it sound the same as Neil Diamond's guitar. I know I should let it go and learn something else, but I can't.

Any help or comments are greatly appreciated.

TwoCat Image

ffsooo3

Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:20 am

Imagine the 1st note as an eighth note. That way you would have 6 eighth notes in the 1st measure (for 3 beats). Now, let the 1st eighth note ring out for the entire measure.
To sound like the record, try this: Put a capo on the 2nd fret and finger a C major chord and play the strings in this order: 5 4 3 4 2 3 (letting the 5th string ring the entire time).

ffsooo3

Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:46 am

THAT'S IT!! THAT SOUNDS GREAT!!

Now, I can move on. Thank you so much.

Sam

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic