Playing Pentatonic Scales

beer

Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:05 pm

I have been practicing the five patterns of the pentatonic scale for about a month. I feel I have these patterns down well enough but I am confused about how to apply them to my daily playing. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

sbutler

Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:03 pm

You know, I use those patterns to warm up my fingers. I've had some trauma to them in the past, thanks to table saws. These patterns are the foundations (the building blocks) of playing leads and solos in songs. Check out Neils lesson under Alman Brothers/Mellisa. He goes into it a little there and has some scale charts for that song as well.

All that said, it is still up to ones imagination on how to play solos and I for one, don't find it easy. However, I am working on that stuff.

Hopefully someone a lot more knowledgable about this subject than I, will come along and give a much better explanation on how to use scales.

Scott

frybaby

Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:36 am

Check out the book " Blues You Can Use", it breaks down all the pentatonic scales and show how each are use in some simple solo leads. Also comes with a CD. Best guitar instruction book Ive purchased.
Frybaby

lueders

Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:41 am

I have that book too, frybaby. It is a very good book!

sbutler

Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:26 pm

Beer,

There is a current thread going, about never too early to start playing. Well I opened the link to watch the little short people play, and noticed another video of a young Korean girl playing a guitar that looked very similar to a STRAT. I opened that link and saw a good example of what you can do with the scales.

Check it out.

Scott

BigBear

Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:58 pm

Beer- Welcome to the TARGET program and Totally Guitars! We're glad to have you with us!

You ask a great question and if you are just learning the Pentatonic Scales you will be delighted how useful they can be!

Let's start with the basics. If you are playing chords in a key, the notes of the chord(s) will be in the Pentatonic pattern. So as you play the chord, you can also pick out the melody by just staying in the pattern. This is called Chord Soloing and there is a great lesson on it in the TARGET section.

Next, by knowing the Pentatonic Patterns, in all positions (remember, they slide up and down the fretboard) you can accompany any guitarist or even musician if you know what key they are in. This can be simple fills or vamps all the way to full lead guitar. If you know the pattern, and you are in the right key and location, you will never hit a "clam" or sour note!!! How cool is that?!

The Pentatonic Patterns (5 note) are the foundation of rock and most other kinds of music but remember they are just the starting point. For example, if you take the Pentatonic Pattern and add a flatted third in any position, you are playing the Pentatonic Blues Scale (maybe it's not pentatonic anymore because you have 6 notes instead of 5). And if you expand the Pentatonic scale to the full scale you will have many more notes to play.

Finally, I highly recommend purchasing the CD "Let's Jam" online. They're about $10 and there are several versions depending on what type of music you like. I have the acoustic version. All it is is very good backing tracks in various styles and keys. I can spend a full hour just on one track learning different leads and runs. You loop the CD and play 'til your fingers bleed. It's awesome training. Unfortunately, Neil keeps putting out all these great tunes on TARGET and I don't have the time to play lead like I want to! Tough problem to have! LOL!

Again, welcome and don't forget to go to the Please Introduce Yourself and tell us a little about yourself. We are tight-knit friendly community and we love to get to know one another!

Good luck and let us know how you are doing!

Cheers! :cheer:

willem

Mon May 02, 2011 1:04 am

BigBear wrote:
Beer- Welcome to the TARGET program and Totally Guitars! We're glad to have you with us!

You ask a great question and if you are just learning the Pentatonic Scales you will be delighted how useful they can be!

Let's start with the basics. If you are playing chords in a key, the notes of the chord(s) will be in the Pentatonic pattern. So as you play the chord, you can also pick out the melody by just staying in the pattern. This is called Chord Soloing and there is a great lesson on it in the TARGET section.

Next, by knowing the Pentatonic Patterns, in all positions (remember, they slide up and down the fretboard) you can accompany any guitarist or even musician if you know what key they are in. This can be simple fills or vamps all the way to full lead guitar. If you know the pattern, and you are in the right key and location, you will never hit a "clam" or sour note!!! How cool is that?!

The Pentatonic Patterns (5 note) are the foundation of rock and most other kinds of music but remember they are just the starting point. For example, if you take the Pentatonic Pattern and add a flatted third in any position, you are playing the Pentatonic Blues Scale (maybe it's not pentatonic anymore because you have 6 notes instead of 5). And if you expand the Pentatonic scale to the full scale you will have many more notes to play.

Finally, I highly recommend purchasing the CD "Let's Jam" online. They're about $10 and there are several versions depending on what type of music you like. I have the acoustic version. All it is is very good backing tracks in various styles and keys. I can spend a full hour just on one track learning different leads and runs. You loop the CD and play 'til your fingers bleed. It's awesome training. Unfortunately, Neil keeps putting out all these great tunes on TARGET and I don't have the time to play lead like I want to! Tough problem to have! LOL!

Again, welcome and don't forget to go to the Please Introduce Yourself and tell us a little about yourself. We are tight-knit friendly community and we love to get to know one another!

Good luck and let us know how you are doing!

Cheers! :cheer:

Hi BEAR ,,thank u

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic