?Abm Chord

willem

Sun May 15, 2011 9:13 am

sws626 wrote:
Hi Marshel,

As others have noted, whether you call a chord (or a note, for that matter) sharp or flat depends on the context. But I'm a little bit confused by your question. As I recall, this song was originally recorded in the key of E major, which would lead me to expect the following chord family:

I: E
ii: F#m
iii: G#m
IV: A
V: B
vi: C#m
vii: D#dim

I think the progression is I IV V vi ii IV vii IV, or E A6 B6 C#m7 F#m7 A D A

So you are probably looking at a transposition of the song in either A flat (in which case the chord you mention is the ii chord and would need to be called Bbm since your I chord is already Abmaj -- and should probably actually be played as Bbm7), or into D flat (in which case, this is the vi chord and should likewise probably be played as Bbm7). Either of these is going to be a lot harder to play than the original key. I'd suggest you double check your sources.

-Stuart
B

Stuart your right, i did some research too and your progression is right and the orignal key,,the song is really called ''BRANDY''(your a fine girl), what i saw was an so they call them a SLASH/CHORD (A/B)but that has nothing to do with that i geuss,,but i did not see a G#m in the progression so i think also it is an transposed song.

beaker

Sun May 15, 2011 12:00 pm

Marshel, yeah, Sounds like you have got some great responses to your question. I noticed that you are a target member. I am not sure how long? but anyway, if you have not already, I would check out the Acoustic Genius series. In particular check out the one about Chords in a Key. Beaker.

marshel

Sun May 15, 2011 5:06 pm

Thanks all. I am a little embarssed now. I was taking"'b" as a "B" and not a flat. It through me for a loop. It makes all the sense in the world now.

neverfoundthetime

Sun May 15, 2011 5:32 pm

There you go Marshel.
Thanks for the typo correction Daryl! I can hardly see my screen sometimes... new glasses needed!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic