RE: MEGA COLLOBERATION

lueders

Thu May 19, 2011 8:35 pm

Lots of talent, Lots of Fun!! (I love T.G.!) You guys and gals are great! Did my heart good to see you folks having a blast doing what you love & playing all-together like that. Community is indeed a good thing!!

Thanks for the personality synopsis Tammy!

b.t.w. You didn't sound half bad!

Cori

haoli25

Thu May 19, 2011 8:39 pm

tovo wrote:
neverfoundthetime wrote:
Jason, I am already waiting for the first "TG FlashMob" performance.
...er Bill, you mean spontaneously whipping our guitars out from under our coats at an agreed time and place.... without getting arrested?
I'm happy to whip mine out anywhere. Can't guarantee it will be in tune though.

OKay, okay, okay.....the plan still needs a little workl........ :silly:

Bill

Music Junkie

Thu May 19, 2011 9:42 pm

tovo wrote:
neverfoundthetime wrote:
Jason, I am already waiting for the first "TG FlashMob" performance.
...er Bill, you mean spontaneously whipping our guitars out from under our coats at an agreed time and place.... without getting arrested?
I'm happy to whip mine out anywhere. Can't guarantee it will be in tune though.
Tony: Just don't try to compete with Chris' 12..............string............ :P

J

MarkM

Fri May 20, 2011 12:03 am

A few thoughts as I got a chance to relive some of this tonight while putting some of the videos together. Just watching some of the raw footage put a big smile on my face. It really was such a good time and we were lucky to have a group that really got along well. As others have said, it was like we've known each other for a few years. I guess that's somewhat true as we've all seen each other on this site and have had opportunites to communicate here.

Some observations on the gang.

Tammy - She was the glue that binded us. As mentioned before, she was our rock. What a great voice!!! She doesn't give herself enough credit for her guitar playing. You're pretty damn good with that Taylor Tammy. Super easy to talk to and I'm indepted to her for sharing her rum!!!!!! Thanks Tammy!!!!

Marc - What a nice guy!!! Always interested in what the others were doing and engaged with everyone. He meant so much to this group!! I swear he doesn't need any sleep. We even got him to sing on a few songs. Thanks Marc for all you did last weekend!!!

Bob- This was my second time playing with Bob since Christmas and his skill level has grown tremendously. Bob is always there to put a smile on someones face. He was one of my go to guys to check that the video camera was recording. Thanks Bob!! I got a lot of close ups of you :laugh: :laugh: Bob also led us through some of his go to songs and was key in keeping us on track for those.

Tom - I'm so happy Tom was able to join us. I had no idea how close he lived to me. I wish I knew that much earlier as I have to move in a few months. He was a huge asset to this group. Always one to throw in a nice bass line or some riffs. His attitude was infectious as I know he was having a great time. Just looking over from time to time to my left I'd catch his eye and knew we were both digging the song. Thanks for joining us Tom!!!

Pierre - I had met Pierre once in on a cold and snowy day in December but didn't get a chance to play with him. Pierre the Cosmicmechanic!!!! He's just a cool dude. Such wit and as the Saturday night was getting close to Sunday morning Pierre changed gears on us. Just wait until you see some of his singing. I was fortunate to join him on a few songs we were trying to work out. I had a lot of fun with him and I'm so happy he was able to join us. He also plays a mean set of bongos.

Al - First thing that comes to mind is Al is pretty damn funny. He made me laugh out loud so many times over the weekend. He was our man behind the curtain. The Wizard of our little Oz. Killer voice (it must be a Canadian thing), able to jump in and play anything that was asked and just an all around great guy. Al I was cracking up just watching you on some of the footage today. Priceless. Oh and a sincere thank you for putting so much effort in getting this gathering together.

The only things I would change for next time is adding another day to the trip. As for the Audio, Al did a great job with what we had. I'm really impressed with the audio. He connected all of our mics to a, for a lack of a better term, patch pannel that had individual balance controls. That is why you may hear some voices and some guitars coming out of the left and right speakers. From there he connected all those inputs and made a single track out of it in his micro BR. Outstanding work. Next time I would bring a differenct device that allowed control over each track so we could tweak the individual volume settings and maybe add a bit of our favorite friend reverb. Oh and I need to get a music stand as I kept leaning over and sharing Al's. Other than that I wouldn't change a thing. Did I mention that it was a great time???????

MarkM

Trying to add some pictures
Image Image Image Image Image

cosmicmechanic

Sat May 21, 2011 9:53 pm

Hey people, the preceding post by MarkM gives you a glimpse of the guy ... generous with praise and advice, and ready to work his ass off for friends.

I think he approaches playing guitar as a science (mad science?) ... he has his eye open for the secret formula, or technique that can achieve the desired result.

As material evidence of this, I submit the following two examples:

A) In case you missed it: Mark posted a video in which he replaces a synthetic guitar saddle with a bone saddle, the goal being to improve the richness of tone of the guitar.
http://www.totallyguitars.com/forum/142 ... addle.html

B) At this collaboration event, Mark let me try some of his picks, which he will choose to use depending on the sound he wants.
For example, he has picks made from different materials in different thicknesses, even made from wheat (?). I can assure you certain of these make very different sounds on the strings.

So I now realize I have asked myself, what's Mark doing with a pick stuck between his lips while he's playing ? At first I thought he had decided to hold it there while he fingerpicked.

But guess what ? He's strumming using another pick at the same moment he has one between his lips ... I think he is actually going to switch picks to get the sound he wants at the right time.

Am I right about the pick-switching strategy, Mark ? If so, I hope I didn't give away a magician's trick :)

Mark, thanks for your great efforts and equally great results for us.

Pierre

MarkM

Sun May 22, 2011 2:59 pm

Pierre you crack me up :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: .

You are correct that the white pick you saw was made of wheat. I don't think I'll be switching picks in the middle of songs though. :laugh: :laugh: . Since I need all the help that I can get I do experiment with the picks a bit. Thanks for the kind words.

MarkM

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic