What Do you think???

neverfoundthetime

Mon May 30, 2011 10:52 am

... man, so far it's just me and Jewel! :P

snipe

Mon May 30, 2011 10:56 am

I like Jewel.. She has done some great work(I think I have one of her cd's), but this wasnt my favorite.
Mike

AcousticAl

Mon May 30, 2011 12:06 pm

What Simon said.

michelew

Mon May 30, 2011 4:23 pm

I'm with Chris and Scott.

Sure she was a little over the top, but I love a little over the top and her voice is to die for. I thought her playing was good and she made me smile. Give me Jewel singing rather than Neil and day.

Michele

thereshopeyet

Mon May 30, 2011 4:37 pm

Thanks

lueders

Mon May 30, 2011 4:45 pm

I'm sorry Kevin.I thought that was God Awful! And not just because it is a semi- sacred Neil Young-tune or
whatever...It wasn't that bad at first, but when she held that note up in dog whistle range...I tuned out.

dekotaj

Mon May 30, 2011 4:59 pm

Hey Lueders,
No need to say sorry.I ask for peoples opinion???I knew some would like it and some would not.I love Jewels singing,Just not on this song.And not being a huge fan but a fan of Neil Young.And knowing some folks here or HUGE N.Y. fans.I had to ask.Because I thought Jewel would do a better cover of this song.It just surprised me when I first heard it.Still love her voice.And some of her music.I never though people were being mean.Just having some fun with a song some of us like and some of us don't.

Kevin

tovo

Mon May 30, 2011 5:54 pm

sbutler wrote:
Since quite of few of us, try to cover someone else here on this site, and most of the time do a pretty good job considering we are a bunch of amatures, I'm supprised to see the sharp criticism here. But, to each his/her own.

Scott
I'd NEVER be that blunt to a member here Scott. We are amateurs as you said, but Jewel is a professional musician and in my opinion she couldn't have picked a worse tune for her. It was just SO over the top. Again as you said, each to his own.

AcousticAl

Mon May 30, 2011 6:48 pm

I guess I shouldn't let old Simon have the last word and not give a few reasons why I don't like this version..
I agree with several of the points that others have raised already.. namely her ripping the a** out of it.

Now I do like it when an artist puts a new spin on a timeless song. But what I don't like is when they change the timing or lyrics of the song in the process. They can slow it down- speed it up- go solo acoustic or have a huge orchestra.. doesn't matter. But don't change the roots of the song!

I'm analyzing this way too much- but it smacks me in the head everytime I watch it! The :34 second mark, the 1:30 mark. She adds a few extra bars to the song before the slide on the G-string. Nails on a chalkboard to my ears.

(Not to drag Neil H. into this) but it reminds me of the TG Hallelujah Guitar Lesson by Leonard Cohen. Neil mentioned in there how he didn't like Kate Voegele's version because she changed the lyrics. Ditto for me- including both lyrics and timing.

(and what Simon said)
:evil:

thereshopeyet

Mon May 30, 2011 7:07 pm

Thanks

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic