I'm not picking on her.Just saying,what do you think?????

dekotaj

Mon May 30, 2011 10:45 pm

I'm checking out some of Jewels songs on U-tube.And ran across these.And I LIKE both of them..SOOO what do you folks Think of them???????

Jewel - Sunshine Superman

Jewel - Sweet Home Alabama

Kevin

sbutler

Mon May 30, 2011 11:13 pm

Well Kevin, I think I would prefer to just sit and look at her rather than to hear these two. But I did like the Needle and the damge done. I'm not as reverent to Neil Young as some of the other memebers, so I didn't get offended by her cover.

Scott

tovo

Tue May 31, 2011 4:14 am

Kevin,

I don't like either but particularly Sweet Home Alabama. Her cover totally lacks the grit, the in-your-face nature of the tune.

I don't revere Neil Young and have no problem with covers of tunes. I'm not 'offended' by it. i just don't like it. Not at all.

haoli25

Tue May 31, 2011 5:05 am

Nope. STRIKE TWO and STRIKE THREE, respectively. Maybe some covers of Hip-Hop or Mongolian Throat Singing would better showcase her talent. ;) Time to go back to lip-syncing the National Anthem.

Bill

neverfoundthetime

Tue May 31, 2011 5:25 am

I love a lot of jewel's own songs and her voice and stage presence ..... but these two songs are not ones which showcase her talent too well. Sunshine Superman would have been better arranged with just guitar and her voice, Alabama was starting to grow on me as I was listening though...

snipe

Tue May 31, 2011 12:12 pm

sunshine.. fair
alabama.. fair

i think she should stay with progressive or country imho.
but I can sit and look at her all day!

Maybe I should take up Bull Riding!! :woohoo:

pbraun

Tue May 31, 2011 1:15 pm

Well... I have to agree that neither did much for me but... I have to agree with Scott I think I'll just look at the pictures! I like Jewel but it more her songs than covers.
Pete

dennisg

Tue May 31, 2011 1:55 pm

I think her version of Sunshine Superman sounds like something you'd hear in an elevator in a dental office. I would be clawing at the elevator door so that I could get out to have my root-canal job.

As for Sweet Home Alabama, it's a song I despise with every fiber of my being, so I might have a little trouble being objective about someone's cover version of it. On some level, though, I have to ask myself, Why -- if the arrangement is virtually identical to the original -- does the world need yet another version of that song?

For the record, not all guys go rigid in the presence of Jewel's clingy tank top. I'm far more attracted to female artists whose work really moves me in some profound way.

tovo

Tue May 31, 2011 5:09 pm

I gotta say that if you are a musician....and a professional one at that, and your biggest claim to fame is that people like to LOOK at you....things aren't going all that well.

sws626

Tue May 31, 2011 5:18 pm

tovo wrote:
I gotta say that if you are a musician....and a professional one at that, and your biggest claim to fame is that people like to LOOK at you....things aren't going all that well.
Hi Tony,
My limited exposure to the industry suggests it works the other way around.
-Stuart

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic