COVER SONG!!!

dekotaj

Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:30 am

Do you think there are cover song AS good our close to as good as the Original song???Don't have to sound like the original.But one you enjoy as much as the original???

And if so show me some.Thanks.
This is one that I think I enjoy as much as The original.

Original song

Rhythm of the Rain 2005 by The Cascades

COVER SONG

Dan Fogelberg - Rhythm Of The Rain

Music Junkie

Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:47 am

Kevin:

We had a thread like this way back, but I couldn't find it, so here is one I listed in that one. There are some great ones out there.

If I Were a Carpenter - Original by Tim Hardin

Cover by Robert Plant

MJ

dennisg

Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:54 am

I've always loved Rickie Lee Jones' version of the Beatles song For No One.

thereshopeyet

Sat Jun 04, 2011 1:10 pm

Thanks

willem

Sat Jun 04, 2011 2:26 pm

don't know from who was the original,, i think Stevie

i do know this is a cover..

neverfoundthetime

Sat Jun 04, 2011 5:31 pm

BigBear

Sun Jun 05, 2011 1:54 am

Kevin- there are lots of these but one I just watched tonight on TV was Marty Robbins cover of Gordon Lightfoot's Ribbon of Darkness. . Or how about Judy Collins cover of Joni Mitchell's Both Sides Now:

I could keep going but you get the idea!! Great question though!! :cheer:

Lavallee

Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:04 am

I have put this comparison before but love it so much. I think the SRV's Voodoo Child is better and meaner than Jimmy's original which was great to start with, so not an easy task

Marc

dennisg

Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:27 am

I would definitely nominate Crosby, Sills & Nash's version of Woodstock, a Joni Mitchell tune. I think they really improved on her effort.

skaladar

Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:03 am

Recently there have been a few threads dealing with songs covered by other artists often making a comparison of sorts and questioning if the cover is as good as the original. While I’ve reserved judgment in most of these cases because of its objective nature I can’t help but think about all the songs where the cover has become (perhaps arguably) the definitive version of the original. Without tracking down YT clips for each (or maybe I will) allow me to list a few (in no particular order) and ask you what you think.

“Twist and Shout” The Beatles made it famous in 1963 after being inspired by the Isley Brothers version in 1962 but it was originally recorded by the Top Notes in 1961

"All Along the Watchtower" is a song written and recorded by Bob Dylan and initially appeared on his 1967 album John Wesley Harding. The Hendrix version, released six months after Dylan's original recording, became a Top 10 single in 1968 and was ranked 48th in Rolling Stone magazine's 500 Greatest Songs of All Time. It has been covered by many including Dave Mason,U2, Dave Matthews Band, Neil Young, The Grateful Dead, Bryan Ferry, Eddie Vedder and Pearl Jam.

"The Letter" a song written by Wayne Carson Thompson was a #1 hit in 1967 for the Box Tops. "The Letter" was reported in July 1979 to have been recorded in over 200 different versions. It returned to the U.S. Top Ten in June of 1970 via a single release of Joe Cocker's blues-rock reinvention of the song as featured on the Mad Dogs and Englishmen live album recorded that March at the Fillmore East

"She Came in Through the Bathroom Window" a song written by Paul McCartney (although credited to Lennon/McCartney) was performed by The Beatles on their album Abbey Road. Joe Cocker's cover of this song reached number 30 on the Billboard top 40 in 1970.

"I Shot the Sheriff" is a song written by Bob Marley, told from the point of view of a man who admits to having killed the local sheriff, but claims to be falsely accused of having killed the deputy sheriff. The song was first released on The Wailers' album Burnin'. Eric Clapton’s cover version, that was included on his album, 461 Ocean Boulevard, is the most successful version of the song, peaking at #1 on the Billboard Hot 100, becoming Clapton's only #1 hit song in the U.S.

"Cocaine" is a song written and recorded by JJ Cale in 1976 and most widely known in a cover version recorded by Eric Clapton.

"Black Magic Woman" a song written by Peter Green that first appeared as a Fleetwood Mac single in various countries in 1968, subsequently appearing on the 1969 Fleetwood Mac compilation albums English Rose (US) and The Pious Bird of Good Omen (UK). In 1970, it became a classic hit by Santana, as sung by Gregg Rolie, reaching #4 in the U.S. and Canadian charts, after appearing on their Abraxas album, becoming more closely associated with Santana than Fleetwood Mac.

Blinded by the Light" is a song written and originally recorded by Bruce Springsteen in 1973, although it is mostly known by its 1977 #1 hit version recorded by Manfred Mann's Earth Band.

"Liar" by Argent would become a top-10 Billboard hit the following year through a cover version by Three Dog Night on their 1970 album Naturally.

Boy, I could spend all day adding more but before I cause any undue controversy between folks who prefer the original vs.the cover let me leave this where it is and see what you think.

♫ Ken ♫

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic