Improvising 101 (I vi IV V)

daryl

Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:06 pm

Cori, I'm so glad you made a stab at this. Even low tech works (it's a start). The only thing I would ask/suggest is that you make your video clear (with out effects) in order to see your fingers and the notes you are playing. I liked some of your double stop stuff (but I can't steal it if I can't see it! ) ;) And you're right, one could play the 36 bars over and over again and never play the same thing twice. I guess that's kinda the point with improvising.

daryl

Sun Jun 19, 2011 6:54 am

Looks like it’s just you and me Cori. :( Anyway, here’s my attempt at improvising on a single string. I think I play only 6 different notes in this video (C D E F G and A). I kinda like this one. I think there are some reasonable phrases and pauses as well as hammer ons, pull offs and slides. Sorry for the truncated neck and left hand. What do you think?

lueders

Sun Jun 19, 2011 3:39 pm

Daryl, I think that sounds great!!!

So Keith Richards was wrong when he said : "You only need five strings and a ____________ to play it" Turns out you only need ONE!!!
I'm gonna be noodling with it until the wee hours of the morning. (Thanks a lot Daryl! lol!) I'll try and get something going here pretty soon...

B.t.w. I do like your phrasing on this a lot!! I think you are really on-to something with this limit your pallet approach. REALLY forces you to mine the territory & chase
out all/most of the possibilities.

* Also I have another idea...we have a library of Neil's jam tracks from the play-along section. Next, we can tap into some of those & post them in this Improv 101
thread or a Jamming with Neil thread. For example he has a one in the twelve bar blues in G jam track where he plays G7, C9, & D7. It is a moderate shuffle with
swing feel. With blues too there is a vocabulary out there folks are likely familiar with. I dunno, just a thought.

Cori

daryl

Sun Jun 19, 2011 4:43 pm

Thanks Cori. Sorry that I'll be keeping you up so late. ;) Regarding Neil's Jam Tracks. Great idea but you might need/want to check with Neil first. As I'm not a TARGET member those jam tracks might not be available to me (and others like me). But if they are, perhaps a shuffle-blues-like thing will get others involved.....

BTW do you want to try the EXACTLY FIVE NOTE improv after you upload your ONE STRING improv?

lueders

Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:56 pm

Here you go Daryl...

I thought I would put this up here too, to keep the thread alive a little longer...
(I'm not really a narcissist, I promise.lol!)
I haven't given up, Daryl. I think some folks still might give this a go...

It sure is a fun and useful exercise for developing phrasing...

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic