Improvising 101 (I vi IV V)

daryl

Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:47 am

Improvising is a HUGE weak area for me. I might know all the notes on the fretboard, but when it comes to playing something melodic or interesting or catchy I usually fall flat on my face. Where/when/how do I incorporate hammer-ons, pull-offs, slides, bends, pre-bends, trills, vibrato, etc. to make something better or at least more interesting? And don’t forget about phrasing, dynamics, timing, and leaving empty space. All the while playing the “proper” notes (and not hitting a clinker)! Grrr! Would anyone care to help me out? Below are 3 videos.

The 1st video is just a 36 bar drum track. This drum track took me less than 10 minutes to create using all free drum loops from the net and my audio editor (Reaper). It even has a drummer count-in. Simply changing the BPM in the audio’s project changes the BPM
for the drums so the same drum track can be used for slow blues to fast rockers to whatever. This particular drum track in this video is at 110 BPM. It’s way better (IMHO) than a metronome. Well at least it’s way more interesting than a metronome.

The 2nd video uses the drum track and a simple I vi IV V progression (repeated 9 times for 36 bars) in C. It’s a good way to work on your timing and/or arpeggios.

Now the 3rd video is me trying to play something melodic AND interesting over the 2nd video. I think it’s mostly OK but certainly could be more interesting. It doesn’t build up to anything. It’s not really memorable. It’s like someone rambling on and on and really not saying anything. Here’s where I would like some help. Would anyone be interested in taking the 2nd video and working with it to come up with something melodic and/or more interesting than what I did and post his or her video here? Maybe together we can learn how to create something good.

And if this idea is appealing to anyone maybe we could:
- focus on a particular technique (e.g. hammer-ons or pull-offs or phrasing)
- focus on a particular position (e.g. 1st or 5th or 8th or 12th)
- try another progression or tempo

….or not.

Music Junkie

Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:39 am

daryl:

That is something I have been wanting to do for a long time, but my skill level and technical know-how are severely lacking. As far as the drum portions, did you just google "free drum tracks" to come up with them, or is there a site in particular that you like to visit?

Playing the rhythm would be simple enough, but even beginning to solo over it is way over my head. I know some scale patterns, but I have not gotten to a point of comfort or fluidity that lends itself to doing anything near what you did. I enjoyed that little piece and would love to be able to do something like that. I guess I really need to step back and spend some time on that part of my playing. There a several songs that i have down now and would love to record them and then go back and add in the solos using whatever software I end up getting. Many of them are simple little solos, but I just struggle with them.... :woohoo:

Thanks for sharing these. I am sure someone with much more knowledge and skill will jump in on this one as well.

Jason

willem

Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:53 pm

Hi Daryl,,of course this is intresting,,,i know you can play anyting over a drum track(if you transpose a song for example in Gpro six you don't have to transpose the drums i believe),,,but i wonder if you must start with the rhythm(don't know if i am right) what i noticed when you play the lead you were very inspired by the rhythm parts(your rhythm guitar),,maybe start with a melody and when it must be an instrumental maybe make a sort of theme,,for example ''happy'' ''scary'' ''exiting'' ''nature'' etc,,,well i don't know really but it is intresting,,,i heard ones Tommy made jungle sounds,,,,,goodluck

daryl

Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:56 pm

willem wrote:
Hi Daryl,,of course this is intresting,,,i know you can play anyting over a drum track(if you transpose a song for example in Gpro six you don't have to transpose the drums i believe),,,but i wonder if you must start with the rhythm(don't know if i am right) what i noticed when you play the lead you were very inspired by the rhythm parts(your rhythm guitar),,maybe start with a melody and when it must be an instrumental maybe make a sort of theme,,for example ''happy'' ''scary'' ''exiting'' ''nature'' etc,,,well i don't know really but it is intresting,,,i heard ones Tommy made jungle sounds,,,,,goodluck
Are you interested in trying a "happy" or "scary" or "exciting" theme? I'm not sure HOW I would do any of them. That's kinda what this thread is about. Helping each other out by example.....

lueders

Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:51 pm

Daryl, I love this!!! What a great idea for a thread. I think we could (all of us help) each other improve exponentially this way! (I am always itching to do this sort of thing!!) I been noodling with for a while...got a whole bunch of ideas. Some of 'em actually work. lol!

Question: I am technological idiot...how do I post yours with mine? Don't have any software and my computer is junk.
Should play over you with headphones and then post it? I dunno...Like I said I'm a moron.

daryl

Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:13 am

lueders wrote:
Daryl, I love this!!! What a great idea for a thread. I think we could (all of us help) each other improve exponentially this way! (I am always itching to do this sort of thing!!) I been noodling with for a while...got a whole bunch of ideas. Some of 'em actually work. lol!

Question: I am technological idiot...how do I post yours with mine? Don't have any software and my computer is junk.
Should play over you with headphones and then post it? I dunno...Like I said I'm a moron.
There are many many ways to skin a cat. (where did that expression come from :unsure: ) ....

Checkout www.keepvid.com or install realpayer (http://www.real.com/realplayer). Both will allow you to download videos that you view (unless the video disallows downloading).
You could just play my video on your computer while you play along and video record yourself. I think Kevin may have down this with a Croce song a while back.
You can download Audacity (http://audacity.sourceforge.net) or Reaper (http://www.reaper.fm). I personally love Reaper. And start to learn audio editing/mixing. It's actually very easy and tons of fun!

Let me know if I (or others) can help.....

lueders

Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:34 am

Daryl, this was a lot of fun!!! You learn a ton doing this. Like you said it is a great work-out for timing. And you could jam over the same song ten times and play something different every time if you wanted.
So, here is my low tech way for now. It needs a little work...but wha the heck. Right?

thereshopeyet

Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:27 am

Thanks

snipe

Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:57 am

Daryl-

I think this is a great idea, and Lueders i think you did good with it! All kinds of possibilities. If I could figure this multitracking video lattee sutff maybe i will try something. Maybe this can help
me with somethings that I sort of invented myself or get some input from others?
Mike

lueders

Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:14 am

snipe wrote:
Daryl-

I think this is a great idea, and Lueders i think you did good with it! All kinds of possibilities. If I could figure this multitracking video lattee sutff maybe i will try something. Maybe this can help
me with somethings that I sort of invented myself or get some input from others?
Mike
Thanks Mike!! And hold that thought. I hope Daryl started something with this...we could do this sort of thing all the time. Someone could lay down rhythm track with cool progression and we could practice chop buildin' MAN!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic