Intervals. What and Why?

AndyT

Sun Jul 03, 2011 3:24 am

I know what an Interval is. I've even created my own definition of them.

Interval: The amount of (measurement) between A and B.

That's the what, but the why escapes me. Why are intervals one of the very first theory things taught to a new student?

suziko

Sun Jul 03, 2011 6:29 am

Hmmm......I thought this is a simple way to put it:

'Intervals are the units by which music can be measured. You could say that intervals are to music what inches (or centimeters) are to carpentry. If a carpenter wants to know how "things" fit together, he needs to understand how to measure those "things". If a musician wants to know how music is put together, that musician needs to understand intervals.'

As for reading music, you're not reading it by identifying notes, you read/indentify the intervals, wich leads you from one note (or more than one note) to the next one, for that it's quite important because it shows you where to go.

Does this make sense? :dry:

reiver

Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:00 am

nesh16041972 wrote:
Hmmm......I thought this is a simple way to put it:

'Intervals are the units by which music can be measured. You could say that intervals are to music what inches (or centimeters) are to carpentry. If a carpenter wants to know how "things" fit together, he needs to understand how to measure those "things". If a musician wants to know how music is put together, that musician needs to understand intervals.'

As for reading music, you're not reading it by identifying notes, you read/indentify the intervals, wich leads you from one note (or more than one note) to the next one, for that it's quite important because it shows you where to go.

Does this make sense? :dry:

Nicely put, Vanessa.

Andy - Not sure why you felt it necessary to come up with your own definition............the word is commonly defined as 'the difference in pitch between two notes' The problem with your definition is that, in music, the parenthesized word should be pitch - and the concept of an amount of pitch seems flawed.

Stuart

willem

Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:31 am

IT is the space between notes in upright position combin that with rhythm and a instrument then you get music.... i geuss..

AndyT

Sun Jul 03, 2011 5:07 pm

Stuart,

I always come up with my own. It helps me to know that I've understood something if I can rephrase it.

Vanessa's answer gives me the answer I'm looking for. Intervals are taught first because they are the least common denominator in music. As far as measurement goes anyway. If you can't read a ruler, you better not be building houses.

Chasplaya

Mon Jul 04, 2011 3:33 am

An interval is when you have a break and have your play lunch :laugh:

thereshopeyet

Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:23 pm

Thanks

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic