Key changes with song surgeon

willem

Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:36 am

Real newby question here. I am learning to play Strawberry fields and have downloaded a really good backing track to play along with. Problem is the track is in em. I have the Song Surgeon demo and I can change the key (pitch as it is called on the interface) but I don't know enough theory to figure out how many half steps to use to make the change. Hope this makes sense. Trial and error may take a while. I think the lesson is in C. Thanks for any help.

daryl

Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:13 am

Try this....

If the 1st chord on the backing track is say Em and the 1st chord in the lesson is say Am, the following. Play the Em in the 1st position (as 022000 fingered with your 3rd and 4th fingers) then slide up to the Am at the 5th fret (as 577555 fingered with your 1st finger across the 5th fret and your 3rd and 4th fingers at the 7th fret). Now count how many frets you slid up. Five right? That's how many half steps it takes to go from Em to Am.

If the 1st chord was say a D on the backing track and the 1st chord was say G in the lesson. Find the D on the 6th string (10th fret right?) and the G on the 6th string (3rd fret right?). Now count how many frets it takes to slide down from the 10th fret to the 3rd fret. Seven right? That's how many half steps it takes to go from D to G.

willem

Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:39 pm

When the lesson is in C and the backingtrack is in Em(= G) then it is 7 half steps +(from C to G),, they corect me if i am wrong..

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic