I need help learing to use the metronome.

dtaylor

Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:30 pm

Hi Guys!

My metronome, when set on 4, goes Ping Tick Tick Tick.

Could I bring up "Dust in the Wind" again? I know some don't like the song, but for me it is a finger-picking exercise. If I can't master it, I might as well quit.

In Neil's final segment on that song, he states his nome is set on 94 and that is counting the half notes. I can't figure this out.

Looking at the tab for the song, the pinch would be my ping and it is "one and". If I understand tab, the first note of the second half of the measure would be the T on the third fret of the A string.

Here comes the question:

Ping (I just did the pinch). What note or tab notation do I ping on again? One Ping per measure is beastly slow.

I know this is asking a lot for someone to explain this, but I'd sure appreciate it.

TwoCat

EDIT: I am so confused, I think I have asked the question all wrong. Instead of two pings per measure, maybe it's one ping per two measures.

skaladar

Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:48 pm

Is it this: Every noise from the nome, whether the ping or tick, should land on a half note in the song?

willem

Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:02 pm

Hi Sam,

You pinch at the 'ping' and you pinch at the second 'tick'.

Does that make sense? ;)

Ness

Edit: I think Dust in the wind is a great song and great exercise, please don't apologize for bringing up that song, because one or two people said that they didn't like it, too bad for them I'd say! :P

millponddave

Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:51 pm

Ness

Thanks for that encouragement.

What you say does make sense. If I understand, the pinch will come on every other tick of the nome. 1st-3rd; 1st-3rd..and so on.

I will try that tonight and post later........

Sam

dsmarion

Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:22 pm

TwoCatSam,

Ness gave you some help going forward. I would also suggest that you go to Neil's lesson and play along with him and his metronome (Part 7 - Slow it Down) so you get the hang of how it goes with the metronome going. He has his metronome set to 100 beats-per-measure (BPM) and at quarternotes (half speed) so with that setting there are four metronome clicks to each measure so each pinch is on the first beat of the measure and each measure is 4 ticks. So you would pinch every four ticks. Hope this helps...

Scott (btw I like this song fine)

willem

Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:11 am

Scott

Thanks for that! I will certainly do it.

I think I'm having trouble accepting just how fast this song is played. Neil says it really rips, and rip it does!

Sam

willem

Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:33 am

Yep! ;)

TwoCatSam wrote:
Ness

Thanks for that encouragement.

What you say does make sense. If I understand, the pinch will come on every other tick of the nome. 1st-3rd; 1st-3rd..and so on.

I will try that tonight and post later........

Sam

tovo

Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:35 pm

Ness and Scott

I have set the nome at 100 as in "slow it down". That I can play.

All I really need now is to come to to speed.

I've noticed something painful and interesting. I've been working very hard on "Margaritaville" and had no fingertip pain. Now that I'm back to "Dust", I am sore and hurting. Anyone else ever experienced this?

So, thanks for the help.

Sam

dsmarion

Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:04 pm

All the time buddy - play through the pain!! Seriously, I take a lot of breaks when working in the finger toughness after a long layoff - you can play them till they bleed if you want but I would recommend the slow-n-steady method. And different songs use different fingers on different strings on different frets for different amounts of time so one song may hurt more than another depending on all that while your fingers get tougher - but keep at it because they will over time.

Scott

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic