A hypothetical question for anyone, but especially for the music teacher!(s)

webtvdan

Fri Oct 14, 2011 5:58 pm

Music Junkie said
“Break the song down to its timing and learn it. Then as you get more and more comfortable with it, you can start tweaking it a bit to make it "feel".”

That’s my approach. I first learn a song as written – then tweak it.

songman52

Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:07 am

Hi all. If I might add, the "feel" can also be achieved by doing the vocal parts with syncopation, or accenting beats differently or shortening or lengthening rests. I hope this makes sense. It can make it more difficult to play along and sing, since you're playing the music "straight" but not singing on the instrument beats or regular timing. Some songs lend themselves more easily to this (without sounding off or bad) such as "With or Without You", "A Whiter Shade of Pale" and "New Orleans Ladies".
Just my few cents worth.

Jerry

Music Junkie

Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:06 am

songman52 wrote:
Hi all. If I might add, the "feel" can also be achieved by doing the vocal parts with syncopation, or accenting beats differently or shortening or lengthening rests. I hope this makes sense. It can make it more difficult to play along and sing, since you're playing the music "straight" but not singing on the instrument beats or regular timing. Some songs lend themselves more easily to this (without sounding off or bad) such as "With or Without You", "A Whiter Shade of Pale" and "New Orleans Ladies".
Just my few cents worth.

Jerry
Great point Jerry. So much of the "feel" does come along with the vocals. Accenting around them makes a huge diifernece.

MJ

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic