A hypothetical question for anyone, but especially for the music teacher!(s)

neverfoundthetime

Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:58 am

Yes, I read between the lines and this one definitely made me read it a couple of more times to make sure that I understand correctly......

After deleting my first reaction, I'll ignore instead....forget it..

BigBear wrote:
Watch a lot of the student videos on TG and you will see that they may play the song well but it sounds flat and without feeling.

neverfoundthetime

Thu Oct 13, 2011 6:00 am

Congratulations to you Sam, am happy for you!! :cheer: Enjoy the rum and coke!! :P

TwoCatSam wrote:
I will now remove this from the realm of the hypothetical........

As some of you know, I have been trying to learn the intro to "Dust in the Wind" for over a year. No matter how I played it, it was wrong!

I played with Neil on the "slow it down" portion of the lesson and then tried to speed it up to normal. It never sounded right. Today I tried with the fast version, 94 half notes, and my fingers began doing what Neil was doing. It took about an hour for me to play it by myself and make it sound the same, but--drum roll--I DID IT!

Maybe someone can, but I cannot play it as written and make it sound right. Neither can GP6, or at least what was given to me on another thread.

So, it has rained in Oklahoma--finally--and there is no more dust in the wind.

I can move on! Where's the rum and coke?

TCS

RicksPick

Thu Oct 13, 2011 6:26 am

Let the robot stand up

My name's Rick and I'm a Robot
Bear has told me several times about my lack of feeling,
Always true, but never in a negitive way
Still carnt get it on some tunes
But with others its getting there
All thanks to the constructive Advice I asked for

there are alot of begginers/inters here
who suprise suprise might not have that tool in the bag yet
Me included

RicksPick

Music Junkie

Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:58 am

I think it is an important part of the overall process of learning a song. At least with me it is.....

Break the song down to its timing and learn it. Then as you get more and more comfortable with it, you can start tweaking it a bit to make it "feel". I find that a lot, especially with strum patterns. You can go with a steady strum pattern on a song and it can work, but when you change it up to match some emotion in the song, it certainly becomes more alive.

MJ

BigBear

Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:14 am

Sorry guys and gals! No put down intended. And I wasn't thinking of any specific examples; just a general comment. I was talking about very new players who often struggle with the timing of a new song. They resort to a metronome but then get frustrated when the song they know in their head doesn't sound like the one coming out of their guitar. Technically, it's good but lacks the feeling that's required to make it sound more like the original.

We've all been there and all probably do it to some degree still. That's why Sam's question was a good one and he hit on an important point "shaving a whisker" off notes to get the feel.

I think one of the biggest differences between beginning and intermediate guitarists isn't so much technical issues but the ability to adapt the timing of a song to their performance. An extreme example might be Eva Cassidy, certainly a skilled guitar player, who covered other people's songs by radically changing the timing and creating a soulful, intimate feel.

Peace! :cheer:

p.s. Nesh and Chris- thanks for knowing I wasn't trying to offend anyone, just using a common challenge newer players face frequently.

neverfoundthetime

Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:43 pm

What's a metronome anyway? Small Swiss railway line? ;-)
Never seen (or heard) one anywhere around here!

Chasplaya

Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:12 pm

neverfoundthetime wrote:
What's a metronome anyway? Small Swiss railway line? ;-)
Never seen (or heard) one anywhere around here!
I always thought it was a diminutive spirit wearing an Anorak who goes train spotting!

PS Good response Bear, and no I wasn't offended either

tgjameela

Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:53 pm

Hey, guys!

I'd like to thank you all for your advice and participation. Just a curious parting shot........

When I was playing the notes "incorrectly", I got very good at the chords and switching. Now that I am learning to play "correctly", I can't switch chords worth a darn! Isn't that the most curious of beasts?

But, sooner or later, I'll get it all together and make a video!

Samster

AndyT

Fri Oct 14, 2011 5:39 am

Forget about it Rick. I'm forever being accused of the same thing. LOL
Before I became a Christian, I was rude and mean to most people and never heard a single complaint.
Now I take pains to be polite and get complaints all the time. LOL

thereshopeyet

Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:40 am

Thanks

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic