Working on this wonderful song...

neverfoundthetime

Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:34 pm

Hi folks!
I've been into the candy store again and got my fingers stuck in the jar! I found a YouTuber playing on of my favourite songs which I have played in standard tuning but this was in open D tuning as indeed the original is... and the difference is just stunning. It must have been my birthday and Christmas all rolled into one as the performer also posted a tutorial on how to play it (don't tell Neil! ;-)) and I was hooked. 2 days later and I was so excited by finally being able to play the intro lick (took me hours to get my ears to hear what was being played exactly) I thought I'd be able to video a version. Opps! Forgot about camera nerves and all the rest that goes wrong when you haven't internalised and practised every part to death! So it turned into me showing a segment which I hope to build on.

Anyone guess the tune in one? Its an autumn theme and think beach. Kev will, so he's not allowed to answer first! ;-)

I recoded with camera and computer and mixed the sound in the video editing to get the echo. Too much and I'm way to rough on the touch with the guitar too but it will smooth out....

daryl

Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:43 pm

Sorry don't know it. I'll guess a DF song. It's gonna be great when you put it all together!

Chasplaya

Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:03 pm

It is indeed a DF song, not an easy intro to do Chris but the body of the song is straight forward. Look forward to you singing this one mate. I guess you'll Reach it in time

MarkM

Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:10 pm

Chris,

Well the song is lost on me but I quite enjoyed the sound you produced there. Now you got me waiting with baited breath for the follow up.................

MarkM

neverfoundthetime

Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:11 pm

Indeed, very warm Dary and Chas is positively smokin' and yes the body of the song is not difficult at all in open D and sounds great played that way. Lots of hammer-ons and pull-offs and the change from strum to lick is not easy. I'm just so chuffed I could finally hear exactly what was being played... it had always avoided me (best practice I hear you say?!). ;-)

Edit: Ah Mark, you snuck in on me there. Thanks for listening in... I will work on it and post the whole 9 yards next time.

Hydroman52

Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:47 pm

Hmmmmmm. Would there also be a lobster somewhere in this tune?

neverfoundthetime

Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:49 pm

Plenty of Lobster Hydro! ;-)

I think I could joint the Canadian New Englanders!

haoli25

Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:35 pm

You ROCK, Chris!!! More, more, more.......

dennisg

Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:40 pm

I don't recognize it, but it sure sounds pretty. I'm very curious to know what it is. By the way, tuning a 12-string to open D must be quite a project in itself.

sbutler

Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:46 pm

Nope, not a clue as to whom did it before ya, but I really don't care.

Chris, the sound of that 12 string is simply amazing. So you could just noodle and I'd listen.

Scott

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic