Songs I have down pat!

dennisg

Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:28 am

Very interesting thread, Al. If I'd been forced to guess, I would have thought you'd have about 20 songs you could easily play (and sing), so I'm surprised by your assessment of your own memory.

I suppose it's because I've been thinking in terms of open-mic nights that I've been playing some familiar songs over and over until they're cemented into my brain, which is no easy thing for me. What I've also found, from having music nights with friends, is that you really don't need to know songs all that well in order to provide a credible performance.

Songs I know well enough to do at an open mic:

- Country Honk
- Autumn Leaves
- Sad Songs & Waltzes
- She's Not There
- For No One
- Mother Nature's Son
- Killing the Blues
- The Difficult Kind
- Homeward Bound
- Here Comes the Sun
- Blackbird
- If I Had My Way

AcousticAl

Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:55 am

Im sure I can list 20 or 30 songs that I know and have uploaded over the past year and a half.
But they won't go on my list until I can play them top to tail without stopping & starting over.
My litmus test for 2012.

MarkM

Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:06 am

Scott[/quote]

See earlier posts. I don't want to seem like I'm underestimating myself and looking for compliments.
Just motivation for the next jam session.
It's not cool when you haul out a huge binder of songs and have no idea where to start and what to play.[/quote]

Al I know exactly what you are talking about on this. I look back to our time in NY and remember all the binders floating around, not to mention Tammy's awesome printer. Where to start??? We'll not in the binder. At least not for me. I like the idea of just building your own little set list. I find that my binder is just a place where I deposit the TAB, Lyrics and music notation to songs that I need that info to play. For me I want to get to the point where I look at a song title and then can go into playing/singing it from memory only. They only way to do that is from consistantly playing them. I've got a handful that would qualify and that I could lead a group with. Still a VERY small list though. The binder is a great reference tool to use to help move those songs to the memorized list. I know you aren't looking for compliments but, sorry, I'm going to throw you a few. One song?? Really? I know you have a few more than that. I can think of more that I know you can play and sing through as I've seen it. Your pretty damn good Al and I'm sure your list will grow very quickly. I just wish I could witness it in person this coming year.

MarkM

AcousticAl

Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:28 am

MarkM wrote:
Scott
See earlier posts. I don't want to seem like I'm underestimating myself and looking for compliments.
Just motivation for the next jam session.
It's not cool when you haul out a huge binder of songs and have no idea where to start and what to play.[/quote]

Al I know exactly what you are talking about on this. I look back to our time in NY and remember all the binders floating around, not to mention Tammy's awesome printer. Where to start??? We'll not in the binder. At least not for me. I like the idea of just building your own little set list. I find that my binder is just a place where I deposit the TAB, Lyrics and music notation to songs that I need that info to play. For me I want to get to the point where I look at a song title and then can go into playing/singing it from memory only. They only way to do that is from consistantly playing them. I've got a handful that would qualify and that I could lead a group with. Still a VERY small list though. The binder is a great reference tool to use to help move those songs to the memorized list. I know you aren't looking for compliments but, sorry, I'm going to throw you a few. One song?? Really? I know you have a few more than that. I can think of more that I know you can play and sing through as I've seen it. Your pretty damn good Al and I'm sure your list will grow very quickly. I just wish I could witness it in person this coming year.

MarkM[/quote]

Ha! I'm sure that's where the disconnect in this thread is..
Don't be fooled by the fact that there's only one song on my list so far. The point is that I'm going back to songs that I thought I knew- or should know- and am going to play them through. See how well I actually know them vs how I thought I knew them.
I just haven't had a chance to play much since I got back from Ottawa. The list will grow soon enough.

Two things I'm going to keep in mind as I play them..
-It's a different animal to play by yourself in front of a webcam vs. with others
-Singing while playing is essential to know if you've really got the song down. I haven't sung at home much while others are home. I guess that's another resolution I'm making.. singing while others are home!

MarkM

Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:38 am

You're right on the money there Al. Personally I can't even begin to think about singing a song until I have the guitar part down cold with no if, ands or buts about it. My brain isn't big enough to handle thinking about the chords, left hand, right hand AND what words I'm supposed to sing at what time, key, etc.....

If you can do both then you've got it. Regardless if there is a camera there or not. As stated earlier I've only got a handful I'm confident with that fit this catagory. I could add several more if I don't have to sing but what's that point in that right.

MarkM

michelew

Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:44 pm

Great goal Al, am very curious what you will add to that list this year! :)

Ness

dekotaj

Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:15 am

nesh16041972 wrote:
Great goal Al, am very curious what you will add to that list this year! :)

Ness
Ya what she said...

Damn good start Al. That's two more than I could put up.

Be good my friend.
Kev.

P.S. Maybe I get lucky,And I could be one of the many you will get to jam with in 2012

willem

Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:10 pm

I hope you add ''59th street bridge song'',, I think it is a fun song ,maybe not playing it with others(one guitar is enough) but you lead and others go wild on ''GROOVY"

I am serieus,,fun song..

W.

Music Junkie

Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:04 pm

Al:

Great post.

I have to admit openly that there are only a few songs that I can play solidly without a chord chart or GP TAB in front of me. I have been so focused on transcribing songs over the last year and a half, that I can play most of them if I have the sheet in front of me, but take the sheet away and my memory is not in place yet (simply a matter of committing them to memory). Songs that I can play all the way through with no cheat sheet or that I could lead others through.....

1. The Barricades of Heaven - Jackson Browne
2. Sister Golden Hair - America
3. We Just Disagree - Dave mason
4. Time for Me to Fly - REO Speedwagon
5. Just Remember I Love You - Firefall
6. Just A Song Before I Go - CSN
7. Mainstreet - Bob Seger

Numbers 3 & 4 only because I just finished them and they are still fresh. They will be lost to my memory soon, I suspect.... :unsure:

There are many songs that I know all of the chords to, but get the progressions mixed up from time to time. I can usually get them down with a bit of practice, but I certainly need a few days to just sit and commit stuff to memory. I think I may need to have an expansion slot surgically implanted in my head, because I am running out of memory.... ;) Some examples.....

1. Southern Cross - CSN&Y
2. Blazin' Your Own Trail Again - REO Speedwagon
3. Lyin' Eyes - Eagles
4. Indigo Passion - Atlanta Rhythm Section

There are other songs that I have chord progressions memorized for along with little runs and such, but I stumble on them technically. Such as....

1. Chevy Van - Sammy Johns
2. Til' the Day I Die - Whitesnake
3. Borderline - Thin Lizzy
4. Tonight - Blackfoot
5. Dust In the Wind - Kansas

My songbook has been ever expanding, but I have to admit that I lack a lot in being able to play without it....... Something to work on I guess.... ;)

MJ

ffsooo3

Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:18 am

Ah the list is growing, how great! :cheer:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic