theory vs practical ???

willem

Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:24 pm

Hi, in what way do you make the theory here learned practical or how do you use it ?

Today I thought what is the 7th chord in the key of C on B that is and I get so confused,,first I thought it was a minor chord but that could'nt be 'cos of the F# note in it and F# is'nt in the scale,,than I thought is it a B ,,well no way,,also an F# in it.. the wheels in my head said it must be something with an F but B with an F,,i could'nt get it,,SO I searched what it must be in the genius lesson and now well I think I never forget it again,,it must be a DIMINISHED chord B-D-F.. It was a great lesson on triads.. it costed me a little hour to get it but now never forget it...

willem :blush: :blush: :laugh:

BigBear

Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:41 pm

Willem- Groet mijn vriend!

Great question. I find the more theory I learn the easy it becomes to play things comfortably. It isn't that I'm exactly applying the theory, maybe it's just that by understanding what's going on I have greater confidence in what I'm playing. And, of course, it makes it much easier to understand Neil when he gets into some abstract chords!

Doei ! :cheer:

willem

Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:03 pm

BigBear wrote:
Willem- Groet mijn vriend!

Great question. I find the more theory I learn the easy it becomes to play things comfortably. It isn't that I'm exactly applying the theory, maybe it's just that by understanding what's going on I have greater confidence in what I'm playing. And, of course, it makes it much easier to understand Neil when he gets into some abstract chords!

Doei ! :cheer:

YES the musical language,,,,

I like your DOEI !!! :cheer:

Have a great year...

skaladar

Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:16 am

Well for instance, It's quite handy to at least know all the chordprogressions.......so if I need to figure out a song, after finding the right key, it's quite easy to figure out the rest since it's very likely that the song will follow a chordprogression.

Or when needing to construct a chord, it's quite handy to know the chord-formula wich makes it way easier to find a way of playing that particular chord.

Also, understanding what it is you're actually doing, makes you memorize better, since you're seeing the logic in it.

So applying, yeah, all the time.

Doei! :P

Ness

willem

Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:28 am

nesh16041972 wrote:
Well for instance, It's quite handy to at least know all the chordprogressions.......so if I need to figure out a song, after finding the right key, it's quite easy to figure out the rest since it's very likely that the song will follow a chordprogression.

Or when needing to construct a chord, it's quite handy to know the chord-formula wich makes it way easier to find a way of playing that particular chord.

Also, understanding what it is you're actually doing, makes you memorize better, since you're seeing the logic in it.

So applying, yeah, all the time.

Doei! :P

Ness

I copy this and paste it in my music bible,,this exactly how to use it..

I enjoyed your ''wings'' btw,, doegie!!! :P ;)

ps. when have it in my head a baut that diminished chord (the 7th in a scale) then I saved me an hour ..lol glad i spent the time

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic