Genius talk,,I got an idea to work on

songman52

Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:29 am

Okay, I'm confused. Why would you try to change a song, unless you're currently writing it, from a major to a minor (I assume you're talking about the key)? And if it's a well-known existing song wouldn't that really change the whole texture or feel of the song? Or not? Just asking.
If you're trying to move it to fit someone's vocal range, just transpose it or use a capo if you're trying to stick with open fingerings. Or transpose it THEN capo it. I've done that a lot.

Maybe I'm just lost and all of this is over my head. If so, please enlighten me, as I'm trying to catch on to theory as well as other members here.
Thanks!

Jerry

songman52

Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:01 am

All.......

OK, I'm stumped and can use some help.

I learned scales on the piano: WWHWWWH. D E F# G A B C# D

willem said: The original is in G (on my sheet) and have chords 1-4-5-6 in it G-C-D-Em .

Then he said to transpose it to D. Using 1-4-5-6 in D, I would have D G A B. Are those four chords the same as the four notes I find on the keyboard?

Am I confusing chords and notes?

Sam

lueders

Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:36 am

Those are all REAL good questions, Jerry! LOL! I agree...I guess it is sorta like the kid taking apart the radio, seeing where the transistors & doodads go and seeing if he or she can Put it back together...

Sam, he's converting to the key of e minor... Now convert what you have worked in the original g scale to the e minor scale.
It's also,helpful to know what the: third, fifth, and seventh of each chord used is going to be....based on the corresponding scale of whatever chord you're taking about. Then it just a matter of shifting equivalent/corresponding numbers. Make sense?

willem

Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:56 am

Cori and Vanessa,,thanks I am more sure now,,my confusing started when I transpose (with Gpro)the melody sheet with 3 half steps but then I came in the Emaj key(right??)and there were many notes (melody) that could'nt be right,, and I was not sure how to handle it,,now with the right melody starting notes -B-B-B-C I can handle it .

Dermot, ''How did I get those melody notes??? my sheet told me..

Songman,, I know your not a man from changing originals,,but I am just courius how it would sound in his minor key (relative minor key??) ,,thats all..

SAM,,DON'T know if you confusing things lets stay with your chords 1-4-5-6 D-G-A-Bm.(Its Bm,not B)I give you the order of playing them for one verse

D-G-D-Bm-D-G-A-A play this 3 times for the verse,,then the chorus...G-A-D-Bm-G-A-D-D (1x)

Every chord is 4 beats -- D du Dudu

Goodluck

thereshopeyet

Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:49 am

Thanks

willem

Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:14 am

Okay,,still on the plan,,here is the progression Eminor naturel,,Its intro(two measers Em), one verse,chorus..I am not sure yet if I will stay on the plan,,so far I like the sound and maybe its just good for an protest song...

willem

Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:32 am

willem

After some research I learn that the notes in a scale and the chords in a scale are not the same thing--thus my error with B instead of Bm.

Could we return to your original post?

"ThE first 4 melody notes in G are D-D-D-(on the G chord) E (on the C chord) ..."

Does this mean I form a G shape on my guitar and then hit a D note three times. If I formed a G shape, what string on what fret would I hit?

If this is wearing you thin, I'll let it go.

Samster

willem

Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:39 am

TwoCatSam wrote:
willem

After some research I learn that the notes in a scale and the chords in a scale are not the same thing--thus my error with B instead of Bm.

Not finished...............

I got my solution and I work on it,,,

willem

Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:41 am

TwoCatSam wrote:
willem

"ThE first 4 melody notes in G are D-D-D-(on the G chord) E (on the C chord) ..."

Does this mean I form a G shape on my guitar and then hit a D note three times. If I formed a G shape, what string on what fret would I hit?

If this is wearing you thin, I'll let it go.

Samster

no,,no Sam they are vocal notes ,,just hit the normal G chord..

thereshopeyet

Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:58 am

Thanks

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic