Yet another metronome-type thread............

buddy

Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:33 pm

As many of you know, I am working diligently on "If You Could Read My Mind" by Lightfoot. I put in one to two hours most days and am moving in leaps and crawls.

I put the headphone on my left ear and listen to my guitar with my right ear. I use Neil's and Gordon's version. I find that Neil plays faster than Gordon, which brings me to my question: When the music calls for "moderately", do you have some leeway as to the speed you're playing the song. Do you play it where it is comfortable to you, or do you have to stick to a certain beat?

TwoCat

willem

Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:01 pm

At the end i think you must play it at 120 BPM...When learning stay in the comfort or the speed you can handle(no mistakes) and stick with,,

My dollar.

W.

willem

Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:12 pm

willem

Not quite sure what a "beat" is. Is 120 counting the whole notes, the half notes or the quarter notes? This song is played in 1/8 notes.

Thanks for your continued help.

Sam

willem

Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:19 pm

TwoCatSam wrote:
willem

Not quite sure what a "beat" is. Is 120 counting the whole notes, the half notes or the quarter notes? This song is played in 1/8 notes.

Thanks for your continued help.

Sam
Sorry a quarter,,and i think moderately is 120 bpm( quarter = one beat)

skaladar

Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:44 pm

If I may interject here. Sam, since the song is written in 4/4 time a tempo of 120 beats per minute would be counted on the quarter notes with four beats in each measure regardless of how many notes you play in each measure.

♫ Ken ♫

Edit: Oops, I was still typing while Willem was replying, either way, the answer is the same :-)

abiliog

Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:52 pm

Sam,
I got this table from The Guitar Handbook by Ralph Denyer.
It seems we can manage a specific tempo between some range.
Some songs must be played at an exact time but that reference should be at the begining of the staff (for example a quarter note = 90)
I could be wrong but that's how I understand it.
Hope this helps,
Abilio Image

sws626

Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:01 pm

If you're on your own, play at any speed you feel the spirit. If you're in a band, play at any speed you can talk them into.

Max

Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:04 pm

I think there is no strict rule for moderate, it's open to your own feelings for the song, especially if your playing solo.
Of course if your playing with others the drummer or bass player sets the beat.

There was another thread on the forum that was very interesting, It was a TED talk by deaf percussionist Evelyn Glennie.
She shows the difference between whats written in the sheet music, and the interpretation of it.

It's a long video, but listen to at least the first 5 minutes, and you'll see how interpretation of the written sheet music can vary.

So basically make it your own, but it never hurts to practice with a metronome.

Max

TGMatt

Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:53 pm

Thank you, people!

I did watch the video. That is incredible!

I will work more with the Fine Metronome. It's pretty darn fine!

Sam

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic