pattern 1..pattern 2...pattern 4,,etc,, a bout lead..!!!

willem

Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:11 pm

I believe I was watching the lesson ''while my guitar gently weeps'' and it was a bout lead playing,,and Neil showed something and called the lead playing patterns by a number(like we can do with chords) can someone(anybody) explain to me how this works(by numbers) or lead me to the lesson(link) that will clear this up..

Thanks in advance

Willem

daryl

Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:45 pm

Not being a TARGET member, I don't have access to the lessons. But....I would guess what you're looking for would be in the "Acoustic Genius Series". Maybe the "Fundamental IV - Pentatonic Scales and Patterns"?

jimcjimc

Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:00 pm

willem wrote:
I believe I was watching the lesson ''while my guitar gently weeps'' and it was a bout lead playing,,and Neil showed something and called the lead playing patterns by a number(like we can do with chords) can someone(anybody) explain to me how this works(by numbers) or lead me to the lesson(link) that will clear this up..

Thanks in advance

Willem
Willem - can't help with explaining how they work, but I was just viewing the FOTW with Beaker on It's all over now, Baby Blue and there was quite a bit there on playing leads and numbered patterns.

Max

Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:05 pm

Willem, try going to the blue bar at the top of all pages and look for "Tips, Techniques, Theory & Styles", once in there look at "Theory"
You'l find Major, Minor, and Pentatonic Scales and Patterns, I think that's what your looking for.

Also maybe this graphic will help:

suziko

Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:46 pm

Willem,

As others have said, look under "Tips, Techniques, Theory and Style" at the top of the page, then "Theory" then "Pentatonic Scales and Patterns." Also, if you look under the lesson for "Melissa" by the Allman Brothers, there is an excellent attachment that has a graph of all those patterns.

Suzi

willem

Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:32 am

Thank you thank you,,I really go thru all these adviced lessons...

Max,,,its a very clear graphic you send, if you have also the common other scales it would be very nice,,,or were I can find them on the net..

thx again

Willem

thereshopeyet

Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:45 pm

In the Melissa lesson Neil mentions that he prefers to number the patterns
according to their starting note based on the major scale.

Can anyone explain the alternative methods used to number the patterns so I can
understand the advantage of Neil's method more clearly?

suziko

Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:43 pm

Neil numbers his patterns: 1, 2, 3, 5 and 6. The number of the pattern corresponds with the number of the note in the corresponding scale you are playing (a pentatonic pattern consisting of the notes 1,2,3,5, and 6 in a scale). So, for example, if you're playing a pentatonic scale up the neck in G, pattern 1 would begin on G, pattern 2 on A, 3 on B, 5 on D and 6 on E- all of those on the 6th string, of course.

Most places number the patterns 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5.

Hope that makes sense!!

Suzi

TGNeil

Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:40 pm

A short point about an advantage to numbering by the Major Scale. All the Pentatonic Patterns can be expanded to include all 7 notes of the Major Scale. At that point there could be Pattern IV and Pattern VII, and the original five will stay connected to their Major cousins.

Neil

thereshopeyet

Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:49 pm

Suzi

Thanks for the explanation... now I understand.... thanks.... :)

Neil

Thanks

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic