The Circle of Fifths

michelew

Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:51 am

I second everything that Shel said! :) :)

michelew wrote:
tacticaltal wrote:
Thanks for the reply, michele. I'm still trying to envelop myself around this circle :) Maybe I'm not ready for it yet :D
I really don't think you need to worry too much Terry. It is really useful for remembering key signatures if you read music, but if you use tab then you don't need to worry as much. It is also handy for remembering the fourth and fifth of a key, but if you know these already from years of playing then no worries. For example, take any letter in the sequence (say an E), the note on the right side (clockwise in the circle) is the fifth (B) the one in the other side (anti clockwise) is the fourth (A).

As a guitarist you have an advantage over other musicians, it's called a capo. We can change keys without even thinking about sharps and flats just by moving the capo. Other musicians are not so lucky. So tab, capos. Woo hoo! :) there are two reasons why you don't need to fully grasp the circle of fifths if you just want to play. :) which, by the way, you obviously have no trouble with. Some of us could definitely do with more playing. :)

Craig

Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:22 am

I have actually no idea what you're talking about Dermot...

As for driving me mad....not for asking questions, it's good to ask questions, but up until now I usually waste my time trying to answer you, since you're indeed often looking for things which aren't there. Or you're just not satisfied with the answer. Or it appears you already know the answer....But hey, you're not forcing me to answer, I do that all by myself......but I often feel that it's not worth it.....or maybe I'm just totally incompetent/incapable to answer... :S.....I'll save my breath next time.

However in this thread, others asked as well, hence the video, so I'm glad it helped some other folks out.

Keep asking Dermot! Oh and don't forget, play the guitar too! :P

thereshopeyet wrote:
Vanessa

See............ you don't like it when I'm nice either? :dry:

:laugh: :laugh:

tgjameela

Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:24 am

Thanks sweetie!!! That's really nice to hear :kiss: :) ! BTW gorgeous pic!! ;)

suziko wrote:
Ness,

What a great explanation of the Circle of Fifths. It's so nice of you, too, to take the time to answer this way. Everyone benefits!

Suzi

michelew

Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:27 am

There's more about the uses of the circle of fifths to be found here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circle_of_fifths including some historic stuff.

willem

Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:58 am

I really get it now but think there is more...maybe something with modes?? don't know yet.. Image

thereshopeyet

Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:39 am

Take a look at this Willem, click on the different modes and see what happens in the circle:

http://www.all-guitar-chords.com/circle-of-fifths.php

Remember, the circle is there to help you visualize, which helps you remember what, for example, chords to use in any given key. Or to remember how many and which sharps and flats there are. Most people in general learn the most by visualizing. For me personally I always visualize my fretboard, or the keyboard of my piano. For others, the circle of fifths is the way to do so. It's a handy and useful tool to quickly remember how to for example transpose a song or to just remember which chords will likely be in a song in any given key. It also makes figuring out a song way easier.

Like C, if you read the clock from F to G ánd it's relative minors (it's in a quadrant), then you'll instantly know which chords you can expect in a song (when it's in C of course! ;) ). If you wanna transpose a whole step up, the quadrant moves up (from G to A ánd it's relative minors) and you'll see instantly which chords there are in the key of D.

For modes, everything moves up, check the link! :)

willem wrote:
I really get it now but think there is more...maybe something with modes?? don't know yet.. Image

willem

Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:45 am

I all forgot a bout this link and the cricle is there too,,,thanks...really fine..

nesh16041972 wrote:
Take a look at this Willem, click on the different modes and see what happens in the circle:

http://www.all-guitar-chords.com/circle-of-fifths.php

Remember, the circle is there to help you visualize, which helps you remember what, for example, chords to use in any given key. Or to remember how many and which sharps and flats there are. Most people in general learn the most by visualizing. For me personally I always visualize my fretboard, or the keyboard of my piano. For others, the circle of fifths is the way to do so. It's a handy and useful tool to quickly remember how to for example transpose a song.

Like C, if you read the clock from F to G ánd it's relative minors (it's in a quadrant), then you'll instantly know which chords are óften used in 95% of all songs. If you wanna transpose a whole step up, the quadrant moves up (from G to D ánd it's relative minors) and you'll see instantly which chords there are in the key of D.

For modes, everything moves up, check the link! :)

willem wrote:

thereshopeyet

Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:00 am

This was a joke...
See............ you don't like it when I'm nice either?
You know your a Musical Gem .... ;)

Vanessa Wrote:
As for driving me mad....not for asking questions, it's good to ask questions, but up until now I usually waste my time trying to answer you, since you're indeed often looking for things which aren't there. Or you're just not satisfied with the answer. Or it appears you already know the answer....But hey, you're not forcing me to answer, I do that all by myself......but I often feel that it's not worth it.....or maybe I'm just totally incompetent/incapable to answer... .....I'll save my breath next time.
:ohmy:
It you read my post..... I actually liked you video.... :P

Vanessa Wrote:
I'll save my breath next time.
:ohmy: :ohmy: ......

Vanessa, Vanessa.......Breath Vanessa, Breathe......

:laugh: :laugh:

willem

Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:37 am

Vanessa,,,you showed us were to find the fifth note on the bottom two strings(6&5) then going from note 1 on the six string and then going to string five and two frets up for the 5 note,,I get that right,,right?

The same thing happens I understand with barre chords then,, where the root is on the six string its a barre in the E shape for chord one in a certain key,,then were the root is on the fifth string and two frets up we find the 5 chord but in the A shape..think I'm right..and think I am a bit furter in memorise things(chords) on the fretboard..

Willem

thereshopeyet

Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:46 am

You got it Willem!! ;)

Neil coincedently discusses that in the latest fly on the wall.

And when you're playing the I-chord on the fifth string (A-shaped barre), finding the V-chord is one string up, same fret, E-shaped barre. The IV-chord is of course a whole step (two frets down) down also on the 6th string, E-shaped barre.

You're getting there Willem!! :cheer:

willem wrote:
Vanessa,,,you showed is were to find the fifth note on the bottom two strings(6&5) then going from note 1 on the six string and then going to string five and two frets up for the 5 note,,I get that right,,right?

The same thing happens I understand with barre chords then,, where the root is on the six string its a barre in the E shape for chord one in a certain key,,then were the root is on the fifth string and two frets up we find the 5 chord but in the A shape..think I'm right..and think I am a bit furter in memorise things(chords) on the fretboard..

Willem

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic