The Circle of Fifths

thereshopeyet

Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:54 am

I've attached a document that contains mnemonics to help remember the Circle of Fifths.
There's an element of imagination when interpreting it, but I think the information provided
explains enough to figure out what I mean..... anyway......

I have a terrible memory and a few years back I wanted to memorise the Circle of Fifths
so I could remember fifths, relative minor keys, key signatures and order of accidentals.

Although I did this I have never really understood the practical application of the Circle of Fifths
when playing the guitar?

Edit
I also know that going counter clockwise around the circle, it becomes a Circle of Fourths.

:S

Please don't include either attachment in any quotes within the forum , so there is only one copy available.
If you see any errors, let me know and I will correct them.

Oh, Eborracum .... was Roman (Latin) for York .... I took ages finding it !!!

http://www.totallyguitars.com/images/fb ... 130310.zip

http://www.totallyguitars.com/images/fb ... tboard.zip

michelew

Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:22 am

Wow, some work Dermot! :ohmy: :)

Would you know the notes on the 6th and 5th string?

thereshopeyet

Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:46 am

Vanessa Wrote:
Would you know the notes on the 6th and 5th string?
Probably not as well as I should!

thereshopeyet

Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:47 am

Well I'm asking because if you know the notes on at least those two strings, then you can easily find the 5th of any particular note, you know what I mean? (when I is on the sixth string, the 5th is a string below and two frets away. When your I is on the 5th string, the 5th is same fret one string up)

It's actually the way why I usually know the 5th's of each note (chord) quite instantly. So I know most of them by now, but when for instance I'm playing in Ab or something (on piano), I still visualize my fretboard (bottomstrings). It's a short cut which is shorter than just trying to remember it.

Just my two cents! :)

sbutler

Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:19 am

nesh16041972 wrote:
Well I'm asking because if you know the notes on at least those two strings, then you can easily find the 5th of any particular note, you know what I mean? (when I is on the sixth string, the 5th is a string below and two frets away. When your I is on the 5th string, the 5th is same fret one string up)

It's actually the way why I usually know the 5th's of each note (chord) quite instantly. So I know most of them by now, but when for instance I'm playing in Ab or something (on piano), I still visualize my fretboard (bottomstrings). It's a short cut which is shorter than just trying to remember it.

Vanessa, I have never heard of this method. Could you give a couple of examples so I'm sure not to screw it up?
Scott

willem

Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:13 pm

Alright, this is what I mean, at least this is how it works for me personally:

:)

sbutler wrote:
nesh16041972 wrote:

Vanessa, I have never heard of this method. Could you give a couple of examples so I'm sure not to screw it up?
Scott

willem

Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:15 pm

I am glad you brought this up Dermot and I give it a bit of attension again and now I see more what we all can find on that clock,,

Awesome Ness..

willem

Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:51 pm

nesh16041972 wrote:

sbutler wrote:
nesh16041972 wrote:

Scott

Sorry Ness but we crossed passed,,I think..

sbutler

Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:17 pm

willem wrote:
nesh16041972 wrote:

sbutler wrote:
nesh16041972 wrote:
Scott

Sorry Ness but we crossed passed,,I think..
Well cut me off at the knees and call me shorty! That is the circle of fifths made easy. Thanks a million Vanessa.

thereshopeyet

Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:38 pm

Vanessa Wrote:
It's a short cut which is shorter than just trying to remember it.
Cool video ...... and yes that helps me too thanks

I do understand how to located intervals going across strings ( Low E to high E) with respect to a root notes found on the 6th and 5th strings.
Seconds, Thirds, Fourth's, Fifths, etc.......

I watched Neils recent I'm Yours - Jason Mraz FOTW with Kevin (Target Lesson also) and I started to understand
as Neill goes into this in some detail. Neil discussed the relationship of Barre Chords in Keys from A and E families and their chord number fretboard logic.
It's is a great FOTW that I enjoyed very much.

still can't say I know for sure that I understand / am able to use the information conveyed in the circle fully.
So now I wonder if there are further applications of the Circle that I'm overlooking with respect to Chords, keys or anything ?

Of course, it may be because I'm looking for something that's not there!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic