The Circle of Fifths

michelew

Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:47 am

Alright, still breathing! B) :S

thereshopeyet wrote:
This was a joke...
See............ you don't like it when I'm nice either?
You know your a Musical Gem .... ;)

Vanessa Wrote:
As for driving me mad....not for asking questions, it's good to ask questions, but up until now I usually waste my time trying to answer you, since you're indeed often looking for things which aren't there. Or you're just not satisfied with the answer. Or it appears you already know the answer....But hey, you're not forcing me to answer, I do that all by myself......but I often feel that it's not worth it.....or maybe I'm just totally incompetent/incapable to answer... .....I'll save my breath next time.
:ohmy:
It you read my post..... I actually liked you video.... :P

Vanessa Wrote:
I'll save my breath next time.
:blush: :blush:

:ohmy: :ohmy: ......

Vanessa, Vanessa.......Breath Vanessa, Breathe......

:laugh: :laugh:

thereshopeyet

Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:44 am

Vanessa Wrote:
Alright, still breathing!
;)

tacticaltal

Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:38 pm

willem wrote:
I really get it now but think there is more...maybe something with modes?? don't know yet.. Image
WOE, NOW. Light bulbs coming on; let me think :)

willem

Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:57 pm

tacticaltal wrote:
willem wrote:
I really get it now but think there is more...maybe something with modes?? don't know yet.. Image
WOE, NOW. Light bulbs coming on; let me think :)

We need glowing smileys.. ;) B)

michelew

Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:38 pm

Nessa and Neil, WHAT a team!!! Nessa gives us a cool way of finding fifths and remembering the circle of fifths using the fifth and sixth strings (too cool), then Neil comes along and turns it into a great exercise of barre chords traversing the whole neck using E and A shapes (putting into practice some addition things that Ness had pointed out). We are BLESSED! Actually I'll be incorporating this into practice.

Here is Neil's response to Dermot's Circle of Fifths question in the news wrap up if you haven't seen it yet http://www.totallyguitars.com/forum/145 ... -2012.html I found it added to my understanding.

I've found this exploration of the circle of fifths a cool way to brush up my own understanding of keys, the order of adding sharps and flats and a HEAP of other relationships that basically show up in the circle of fifths diagram.

Woo hoo!

Shel

thereshopeyet

Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:24 pm

Michelle

It's just got to be better picking up the guitar and find landmarks.

I think from the news Neil plans to put something structured together at a later date!

Neil and Vanessa
Thanks

Dermot

Hydroman52

Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:01 pm

Vanessa,

Thank-you for the great explanation, and for everyone else who has contributed to this thread. The circle of 5ths and modes have just become less daunting. Good idea to use the video, too. It's much easier for me to understand when someone shows me rather than when someone just tells me.

Thanks again,

Hydroman52

michelew

Sat Oct 27, 2012 2:05 am

thereshopeyet wrote:
Michelle

It's all very well for me writing out stuff to remember it but I knew there had to be a better and more practical
way
to go about it.

It's just got to be better picking up the guitar to hammer home this stuff eh?

I think from the news Neil plans to put something structured together at a later date!
That too would be awesome, did I pick that up correctly?

Neil and Vanessa
Thanks

Dermot

:)
Hey Dermot,

I can definitely be too cerebral too at times, but I'm definitely a learn by doing and visualising person. In fact seeing the charts again, trying of describe what I thought I knew, reading Nessa's and other people's other observations and seeing Ness' and Neil's videos have really helped to solidify this stuff a bit more. S thanks for asking the question.

Yep, I also heard Neil saying he was thinking about a lesson or more than one perhaps (in the write up). :)

Now mate, all we need to do is play, play, play and put this great advice into practice and get it into our brains. B)

Shel

michelew

Sat Oct 27, 2012 2:10 am

nesh16041972 wrote:
Take a look at this Willem, click on the different modes and see what happens in the circle:

http://www.all-guitar-chords.com/circle-of-fifths.php

Remember, the circle is there to help you visualize, which helps you remember what, for example, chords to use in any given key. Or to remember how many and which sharps and flats there are. Most people in general learn the most by visualizing. For me personally I always visualize my fretboard, or the keyboard of my piano. For others, the circle of fifths is the way to do so. It's a handy and useful tool to quickly remember how to for example transpose a song or to just remember which chords will likely be in a song in any given key. It also makes figuring out a song way easier.

Like C, if you read the clock from F to G ánd it's relative minors (it's in a quadrant), then you'll instantly know which chords you can expect in a song (when it's in C of course! ;) ). If you wanna transpose a whole step up, the quadrant moves up (from G to A ánd it's relative minors) and you'll see instantly which chords there are in the key of D.

For modes, everything moves up, check the link! :)

willem wrote:
I didn't know that about the quadrant showing the chords in a key (except the diminished). That's really cool. B)

tacticaltal

Sat Oct 27, 2012 2:41 am

Haven't listened to Neil's take yet, but the lightbulb comment was that I saw this useful for "CHORD PROGRESSION". Of course, having played for 40 years, I already have that memorized, except for a few keys I don't play i.e, B and F, but I do know how to find the next chord in the key if I need to.

I think what I see I have problems with sometimes is finding the minor cord for a particular key. I generally know that the minor is usually (always?) the next cord (minored) up from the tonic i.e, a tonic of C, the minor is Dm, G, the minor is Am. I can't get to my guitar right now (early in the AM), but I'm wondering if E's tonic is Fm or F#m? Maybe this chart, which I will refer back to in a minute will tell me that. :unsure:

HOWEVER, sometimes a song's tonic will have TWO minors in it, such as C, Dm and ??. I know I've experienced that quite a bit, and I've been left in the dark as to what chord to play next.

Also, for example, what is it called when one needs to play, for example, an A in the tonic of G, when the 1,4,5 progressions would be G, C, D? Or, if in C, we play D sometimes, when the progression is C, F, G?

Hope all this is understandable. I get to rambling questions off sometimes. :ohmy: :silly:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic