The Circle of Fifths

michelew

Sat Oct 27, 2012 3:07 am

Hey Terry,

I'm not sure that I fully get your question, which is probable because I don't have enough theory knowledge or experience playing with people.

For the key of G, the chords in the key are G, Am, Bm, C, D, Em and F#dim. For all major keys the short hand for the chords in a key is often written as I, ii, iii, IV, V, vi, vii[sup]o[/sup], where the Roman numerals represent the note's position in the scale, the capitals mean it is a major chord and the lower-case means it is a minor chord. When the key is minor (from memory it can get more complex because the notes in the key can change on the way up and down and so there are additional chords that can be added - but that's a different story :) ).

So in the key of C the chords are C, Dm, Em, F, G, Am and Bdim.

Relative minor, I think, means the minor key that has all the same notes as the chord it is related to. So for C the relative minor is Am (which has no sharps or flats). It is the sixth note in the scale. In the circle of fifths diagram, the relative minor is the chord/key on the inside of the circle.

So if you take the sectors on each side of a key and the sector for the key in question (the quadrant as Ness calls it), it has six of the seven chords in the key. It's so cool. :)

I'm sure someone else can answer the rest of your question, or correct me if I'm wrong or I've misunderstood.

Shel

willem

Sat Oct 27, 2012 3:22 am

tacticaltal wrote:
Haven't listened to Neil's take yet, but the lightbulb comment was that I saw this useful for "CHORD PROGRESSION". Of course, having played for 40 years, I already have that memorized, except for a few keys I don't play i.e, B and F, but I do know how to find the next chord in the key if I need to.

I think what I see I have problems with sometimes is finding the minor cord for a particular key. I generally know that the minor is usually (always?) the next cord (minored) up from the tonic i.e, a tonic of C, the minor is Dm, G, the minor is Am. I can't get to my guitar right now (early in the AM), but I'm wondering if E's tonic is Fm or F#m? Maybe this chart, which I will refer back to in a minute will tell me that. :unsure:

HOWEVER, sometimes a song's tonic will have TWO minors in it, such as C, Dm and ??. I know I've experienced that quite a bit, and I've been left in the dark as to what chord to play next.

Also, for example, what is it called when one needs to play, for example, an A in the tonic of G, when the 1,4,5 progressions would be G, C, D? Or, if in C, we play D sometimes, when the progression is C, F, G?

Hope all this is understandable. I get to rambling questions off sometimes. :ohmy: :silly:

Hi Terry,,don't know if I am right,,but,,the circle tells only a bout the the 1CHORD ,THE 4CHORD AND THE 5CHORD(see second edit),but when you learn scales and for example the Cscale or the key Cmajor which is C-D-E-F-G-A-B-(C).all the white keys on the piano,,then the chords are C-Dm-Em-F-G-Am-Bdim..(C) this order of major and minor chords counts for every key your in and lets take it easy,,when the key is G..the scale is G-A-B-C-D-E-F#(G),,then the chords are G-Am-Bm-C-D-Em-F#dim(or F#7) (G)...so always the 2-3-6 numbers are minor chords in a major key..to me the light bulbs went on when I also looked at the notes in the scale and the note build up a chord look for example to the Dm chord in C and the D chord in G...in C the Dm notes are D-A-F,,its simple cos in the C scale there is'nt a F# which certainly is in the G scale so in G it is a D chord D-A-F#....

its all in the AGS lessons..

Hope you understand what I have written cos thats also a study for me..

Willem

EDIT: congrats on getting a answer in the weekly News on the exercises,,we all benifit on it..

SECOND EDIT...I know now from posts below and from Michele's post that you can find all the chords in every key in the circle of fifths..

willem

Sat Oct 27, 2012 3:28 am

michelew wrote:
Hey Terry,

I'm not sure that I fully get your question, which is probable because I don't have enough theory knowledge or experience playing with people.

For the key of G, the chords in the key are G, Am, Bm, C, D, Em and F#dim. For all major keys the short hand for the chords in a key is often written as I, ii, iii, IV, V, vi, vii[sup]o[/sup], where the Roman numerals represent the note's position in the scale, the capitals mean it is a major chord and the lower-case means it is a minor chord. When the key is minor (from memory it can get more complex because the notes in the key can change on the way up and down and so there are additional chords that can be added - but that's a different story :) ).

So in the key of C the chords are C, Dm, Em, F, G, Am and Bdim.

Relative minor, I think, means the minor key that has all the same notes as the chord it is related to. So for C the relative minor is Am (which has no sharps or flats). It is the sixth note in the scale. In the circle of fifths diagram, the relative minor is the chord/key on the inside of the circle.

So if you take the sectors on each side of a key and the sector for the key in question (the quadrant as Ness calls it), it has six of the seven chords in the key. It's so cool. :)

I'm sure someone else can answer the rest of your question, or correct me if I'm wrong or I've misunderstood.

Shel

Hi Michele,,now I know the use of the roman numbers I did'nt knew that ,,,thx... :cheer: :cheer:

thereshopeyet

Sat Oct 27, 2012 3:58 am

Willem Wrote:
Hi Michele,,now I know the use of the roman numbers I did'nt knew that ,,,thx...
I've always thought capital roman numerals as major and minor roman numerals as lowercase.

thereshopeyet

Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:07 am

Michelle Wrote:
Now mate, all we need to do is play, play, play and put this great advice into practice and get it into our brains
Playing sounds more fun.

willem

Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:13 am

thereshopeyet wrote:
Willem Wrote:
Hi Michele,,now I know the use of the roman numbers I did'nt knew that ,,,thx...
I've always thought capital roman numerals as major and minor roman numerals as lowercase.
Not sure about the diminished but I think they are lowercase with a circle?
I suppose this about the numerals is only important when writing, 1.2.3.4.5.6.7. does fine in head?

:S
does fine in the head,,,I have an other not so logical thing in that circle,,its easy now to know the 1-4 and 5 chord from a key and how to memorise on the fretboard and go thru them while playing/practice..but now the other chords from a certain scale/key,,its not logical in my head/brain such as 1-2-3-4-5-6-7...see pic!!! Image

thereshopeyet

Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:15 am

Vanessa

This is a cool link.... Circle of Fifth's

I forgot all about that one!
:ohmy:

Thanks

thereshopeyet

Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:29 am

Willem Wrote:
but now the other chords from a certain scale/key,,its not logical in my head/brain such as 1-2-3-4-5-6-7...see pic!!!
I can't see the other chords in the circle. ..... :S
For Each Scale Number / Note I just remember.........
Major Key: Major, minor, minor, Major, Major, minor, diminished.

Natural Minor Key: minor, diminished, Major, minor, minor, Major, Major.

:ohmy

I think that's another reason I started this topic.....
I spend to much time trying to remember how every relates by using different head devices!
So wondered if I could chop away some of the devices and consolidate all practically as away to remember.
I think there's been a lot of great practical video brought to my attention that I'd forgotten from Beginner / AGS lessons too.

willem

Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:58 am

thereshopeyet wrote:
Willem Wrote:
but now the other chords from a certain scale/key,,its not logical in my head/brain such as 1-2-3-4-5-6-7...see pic!!!
I can't see the other chords in the circle. :S .....
For Each Scale Number / Note I just remember.........
Major Key: Major, minor, minor, Major, Major, minor, diminished.

Natural Minor Key: minor, diminished, Major, minor, minor, Major, Major.

:ohmy

I think that's another reason I started this topic.....
I spend to much time trying to remember how every relates by using different head devices!
So wondered if I could chop away some of the devices and consolidate all practically as away to remember.
I think there's been a lot of great practical video brought to my attention that I'd forgotten from Beginner / AGS lessons too.
I search now for a useful app on my smartphone SO I ALWAYS will remember..

fjeanmur

Sat Oct 27, 2012 5:13 am

You forgot about it???

Pffffffffffffff........ :S :S :S

thereshopeyet wrote:
Vanessa

This is a cool link.... Circle of Fifths

I forgot all about that one!
:ohmy:

Thanks

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic