The G Chord

unclewalt

Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:01 pm

I remember saying it was "physically impossible" for me to play bar chords. That was about 32 years ago.

The thing about learning guitar - or anything -- is that it's often a joyless slog. (The joy comes when the slog is completed). Otherwise, you don't learn. This is just how it works, and you either want to put in the effort or you think it's not worth it. Either, of course, is fine -- but looking for shortcuts isn't.

Just keep doing it, it will come. And when it does, you will feel a glow of pride and accomplishment.

tombo1230

Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:07 pm

unclewalt wrote:
I remember saying it was "physically impossible" for me to play bar chords. That was about 32 years ago.

The thing about learning guitar - or anything -- is that it's often a joyless slog. (The joy comes when the slog is completed). Otherwise, you don't learn. This is just how it works, and you either want to put in the effort or you think it's not worth it. Either, of course, is fine -- but looking for shortcuts isn't.

Just keep doing it, it will come. And when it does, you will feel a glow of pride and accomplishment.

Wise words indeed! It's the hard work that's put in previously that makes guitar playing look easy to onlookers. :)

Tom N.

unclewalt

Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:35 pm

Also, stuff like this never ends -- ever. I've been working for *weeks* on a tricky passage in Neil's solo version of "When I'm 64." Just a couple of measures, but it's really, really hard for me, simply because I've never had to position and move my fingers in that particular way before. I'll get it eventually, though.

It also helps to remember that once you have a new kind of move in your fingers, other, similar moves will be easier to learn. This stuff builds on itself to a remarkable degree. So when you've gotten this G down, being able to do that won't be the only benefit you've derived from the work.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic