Is rhythm natural?

Lavallee

Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:47 pm

daryl wrote:
So Marc, if you can hear and feel the rhythm, and simple songs are no problem for you, then (I believe) it's just that you are trying to push yourself too far too quickly (you impatient man you!). What you might try is to take a phrase that is giving you trouble and just play it over and over and over. Slowly, but in the proper rhythm, until your muscle memory takes over. Then move on to the next phrase. And if you have to, break the phrase up into even smaller chunks (but always play the chunks with the proper rhythm).
Thanks Daryl, I will follow your advice and work on loops to improve the tougher parts. I do it sometimes, but I should do it on a regular basis. Patience is not my strong point but everything can learn, but tougher for older monkey.

Marc

daryl

Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:23 pm

PM me with the solo you are working on. The curiosity is killing me.

willem

Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:31 pm

I don't have an answer either Marc... :( ......but i'm very much with Dennis on this one.

As for thinking about strumming or timing, in general i am fortunate for not needing to think about it. I absolutely play what i feel. Still, at times i of course do think about it, but that's always only when i want to accentuate something, add something or exactly the opposite.

But i really wish i would know the full answer to your question...

Ness

Lavallee

Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:30 pm

Thanks Ness, well maybe it comes down to some have it and others don't. The ones who don't have to work harder.

Marc

wiley

Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:01 am

glenholmy

Tue Dec 25, 2012 3:46 pm

I think learning rhythm involves a bit of multitasking. Try keeping your foot tapping to the beat of a 4/4 song, then playing rhythms on a hand drum that land on the beat and off the beat. It may take years of practice, but eventually you wont have to tap your foot. You'll just know where the beat is in your head and your hands can play on and off the beat. The beat is the safety rope that all members of a band should be connected by, but still be able to do their own thing. I was fortunate to have this pounded into me at a young age playing trumpet in the school band.

Good luck,
Glen

willem

Tue Dec 25, 2012 4:24 pm

glenholmy wrote:
I think learning rhythm involves a bit of multitasking. Try keeping your foot tapping to the beat of a 4/4 song, then playing rhythms on a hand drum that land on the beat and off the beat. It may take years of practice, but eventually you wont have to tap your foot. You'll just know where the beat is in your head and your hands can play on and off the beat. The beat is the safety rope that all members of a band should be connected by, but still be able to do their own thing. I was fortunate to have this pounded into me at a young age playing trumpet in the school band.

Good luck,
Glen

And keep the beats straight or in swingtime,,or keep that hand moving and hit the strings were ever you want to hit it,, I have big trouble to stay in time when I try to mute the strings but it should be also a beat..I guess,,

Willem

Lavallee

Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:22 am

Wiley, you are right grand parents have to attend these evenings, but they are wonderful. The foot thing might more related to instruments with some percussion like guitar as you have to strum in time with the beat as for trombone, they are playing a melody. I do not think I have ever noticed someone doing a solo guitar and tapping his foot. Glad your taking your TG mind with you when you are going out :).

Glen, thanks for chipping in, I do not think I have ever done any exercise on this but it is a good idea. At one point I was thinking of taking drum lessons. Having to play a wind instrument, as Wiley's grand daughter, above definitely needs to have a good feeling of rhythm.

HI Willem, this exactly where the challenge is when you have to do something out of the strumming pattern but still in time. This is where when I tap, I get lost. I have always been amazed by players like Bo Didley who had those crazy rhythms that were off beat.

Marc

auntlynnie

Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:16 pm

Hi all,
I'm new to the forum, and I am enjoying this conversation so much. Rhythm is something I have struggled with often. I have terrible rhythm.
And if I cannot hear my foot tapping, I am lost. It is very much a hearing issue for me. Like when I would do Dance Dance Revolution with my kids, I was totally lost if the music was so loud that I could not hear my feet hitting the mat. So I naturally thought that was true for everyone.
BUT, I have a friend who is totally deaf, and he has wonderful rhythm. He is a great dancer! He says he just feels it. So I had to rethink my belief that one has to hear rhythm to have rhythm. And that points to the idea that some people just have it and others don't.

AuntLynnie

Lavallee

Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:52 pm

Lynn at least you can tap your foot good for you as it is a challenge for me. I agree with your last phrase and I am afraid I am part the second option :(

Marc

Marc

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic