Rhythm and Counting Time

unclewalt

Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:19 pm

I knew "Music Must Change" was in 6/8 because I'd heard of that story about Moon before. (The way I heard it, Townshend recorded himself either tapping his feet or actually walking.)

I do feel better knowing that others thought the same as me about it, though. I just can't get my mind around this stuff. Luckily, my body makes up for it. Or anyway, my limbic system or my peripheral nervous system does.

Similarly, whenever I hear people talking about emphasizing the one and the three vs the two and the four, I get confused. Sometimes I do one, sometimes the other, and I couldn't tell you why the difference. I also don't really get the whole James Brown thing about emphasizing the one, though I certainly feel his rhythms.

tacticaltal

Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:17 am

familyman4 wrote:
Counting time and having a really good rhythm is very important for any of us wanting to get to higher levels of guitar playing. Especially when it comes to jamming with other folks. My advice is to take the time to understand how it works and practice with every song you learn. Count out loud so you get used to hearing yourself with the one and two and three and four. Etc. etc.

Terry, you and the rest of us have made the commitment to be a part of this site so I feel like we should get every piece of knowledge that we can. This is HUGE...

On a personal note, when I was a youngster, my first guitar teacher was blind. He was still an amazing teacher because he counted (and made me count) out the beats. He also taught me how to read music and always knew when my left hand position wasn't correct, just by how the guitar sounded. Anyway, Bob has long since pasted away but his teachings will always be with me. Trust me when I tell you that a 12 year old boy just wants to play guitar & be cool, and not really learn what it takes to do it correctly. However, you will notice quick improvements with this knowledge.

For what it's worth....
Bart
Thanks Bart for taking the time to comment. Indeed, I've already learned things since being here that are so elementary and should have been learned when first started, but like you said, I was interested in learning songs, and anything else was, in my young mind then, unnecessary. Wish I'd have found this site a couple years ago.

Thanks.

d_dog

Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:54 am

Great example Dermot, you can hear the difference really well in that one!

Bút again, it sometimes depends on which sheets you're using. I have one of this song, the same one which you can find all over the net as well (like musicnotes, sheetmusicplus etc.), it's just 6/8 all the way through, it doesn't alternate timesignatures. Same for the pdf you attached.

Have we lost you Terry?? Sorry about that, we're still talking about rhythm and counting time though! :P

thereshopeyet wrote:
This is a cool topic.
I understand the theory:-

3/4 = 3 Quarter Notes in a measure.

6/8 = 6 Eighth Notes in a measure.

When seeking to hear the difference....... I noticed that many instructors refer to the song
Link: America - from Westside Story which alternates 3/4 and 6/8 measures.

I also came across the attached PDF (via Google) that I've yet to look at but others may be interested to have a look too.

http://www.totallyguitars.com/images/fb ... merica.zip

tacticaltal

Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:35 pm

nesh16041972 wrote:
Have we lost you Terry?? Sorry about that, we're still talking about rhythm and counting time though! :P
what? say who? did what? :huh: B) :unsure: :blink: :silly:

unclewalt

Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:25 pm

Fascinating brain phenomenon: I've started to learn "Take Five." It is of course in 5/4. The song that's going through my head now, though (hours after I last practiced), is Jethro Tull's "Living in the Past," which also happens to be in 5/4 (and which I haven't heard lately). I'm just naturally operating, limbically, in 5/4 from practicing in it earlier. But when I try to count along to "Take Five," I simply can't do it. I'll have to consult Oliver Sacks.

"Living in the Past" is a little easier, counting-wise. With the studio version, I'm not quite there, but close. It's much easier for me with this steadier live version.

And here's "Take Five."

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic