stagnation

jayswett

Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:31 am

Ok. I've officially stagnated in terms of improving musically. Part of that has been, admittedly, a lack of practice, but not that's not the only problem. I know it will pass with time, but in the meantime, I've decided on a new strategy. My plan is to go through Neil's Genius series from start to finish, and really try to get a sense as to what this theory business is all about. Will let you know how it goes, for anyone who might have had a similar thought at one time or another.

AcousticAl

Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:17 am

Hey Jay,

I go through ruts (as we all do). The trick is to realize you're in one and then address the situation, as you have done.

Last one I went through had me looking on Craigslist wanting to play with other people to shake things up a bit.

Hope yours doesn't last too long!

tovo

Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:55 pm

Hey Jay. I agree with Al that I think we all have our moments. I also agree that your plan for breaking out of the rut is a really good one. Working through the genius series will allow you to practice each day without having to first decide what you will do, because all you need to do is progress through the series and at the end you will have learned some really good theory so I think it's an excellent plan.

Right now I am working through learning the 5 'blues boxes' all over the neck. Very much like learning scales but focused on the notes most common in blues licks. It involves a tremendous amount of repetition just like scales, but I am digging getting slicker with it and I just know it is time well spent. Every so often I throw in a few licks just for fun.

I'm not suggesting you do what I'm doing, I'm just comparing with what you have chosen to do and making the point that it is helping me because each day I get up and I know exactly what I am going to focus on. Often, I worry that I am forgetting other stuff I have worked hard on but when I do pick up my acoustic I feel much more confident and relaxed with it. So the next point I wanted to make is that all knowledge is useful and makes you more confident with your instrument.

I'd really like to hear from you when you have completed the series (or before) to hear your opinion on how your decision to focus for a time on theory in a structure way has worked to break you out of your funk.

coomba

Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:59 pm

Hi Jay
Mate your not alone there. I have been the same way for so long now I cant remember when It started. My problem is simply getting the time because of work and family commitments. Although I pick up a guitar every day, all I seem to have the time for is to just play a few tunes I already know, getting the quality time to really learn something new and challenging is just not there lately. Then I find I lose interest and motivation because I'm not progressing. Very frustrating.
I agree with Al, I think we all go through this, Your idea of learning theory sounds like a good idea as those lessons are broken up into small pieces, maybe I should try the same.
I hope you snap out of your rut soon

Cheers
Scott

neverfoundthetime

Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:05 pm

Congratulations on your rut Jay! Its a sure sign of progress ;-). Well, realising it it and doing something about it is. There are many more ruts to come so don't worry when this one is history :-). They are just milestones in our progress, rutting at a higher level each time.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic