Modulation

jimi40

Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:43 pm

Just curious

The song Beg Steal or Borrow by Ray LaMontagne includes chords from the key of G but revolves around D so it is in the key of D mixolydian as stated in the lesson. The chorus introduces an A chord along with C, G , D and Fmaj7. What key has the song modulated to. Neil mentions the modulation in the lesson but not the new key. Thanks

thereshopeyet

Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:10 am

Jimi

That's a fun question.
I'll need to look at the lesson.

Dermot

thereshopeyet

Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:51 pm

I've had a look, I'm not sure though.

The harmonised D Mixolydian mode gives the following chords:
1.D 2 Em 3.F#dim, 4.G, 5.Am, 6.Bm, 7.C

I can't figure out the logic how to modulate to another key that includes A Major and Fmajor7.

Key of G has a F# diminished and Aminor chords.
Key of C has an Aminor chord, and a Fmajor ( it's the 4th degree in key of C .... can it be made a 7th?)...anyway Am kills that !
Key of D Major has Amajor but also Fminor !

Anyone ?

michelew

Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:29 pm

jimi40 wrote:
Just curious

The song Beg Steal or Borrow by Ray LaMontagne includes chords from the key of G but revolves around D so it is in the key of D mixolydian as stated in the lesson. The chorus introduces an A chord along with C, G , D and Fmaj7. What key has the song modulated to. Neil mentions the modulation in the lesson but not the new key. Thanks
Jim, fingers crossed that you get an answer from the guru in the news. It's an interesting question but my knowledge of modes if sort of pitiful.

M.

jimi40

Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:52 pm

Thanks Neil

Box of Rain-yes yes yes

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic