Surviving in The Chord Jungle

lueders

Sun May 26, 2013 10:05 pm

I think I'll just start form scratch...this time. geez :)

Okay, to sum up...we don't believe Aadd9 is the correct chord right?

Then perhaps if your X76000 sounds right to you maybe it is...
(This chord could be called EaddG according to a handy-dandy online chord generator)

So I guess I' ve come FULL circle and now I back to my original comment...
Geez sorry I didn't read some of your comments correctly

michelew

Sun May 26, 2013 11:16 pm

Hey Cori,

You seem a little frustrated. I don't have anything to add in terms of whether the chord Chris is looking for is an Aadd9 or not. I haven't had a chance to listen to the video. I'm trying to not go over my data limit in my phone.

But, you seem to have mis-read Chris' proposed chord shapes.

Chris said:
...the solution I came up with x07600 did sound right Cori and as I needed to go from A to A (addB) I could finger x07655 to x07600 very nicely.
You need to move you chord shape across a string.

X07655 (xAAC#EA) - X07600 (xAAC#BE). So if the Moodies are playing in standard tuning and it's an Aadd9 they're playing, then Chris' solution would appear to be appropriate as it's got the right notes in it. But... His ears are telling him something is amiss.

I have no idea what the answer is. I'm just trying to ensure you're both on the same page in terms of chord shapes.

:)

M

neverfoundthetime

Mon May 27, 2013 2:56 am

Hmmmm.....that A chord, i think it's an Amaj7sus2:

X02100

lueders

Mon May 27, 2013 4:10 am

michelew wrote:
Hey Cori,

You seem a little frustrated. I don't have anything to add in terms of whether the chord Chris is looking for is an Aadd9 or not. I haven't had a chance to listen to the video. I'm trying to not go over my data limit in my phone.

But, you seem to have mis-read Chris' proposed chord shapes.

Chris said:
...the solution I came up with x07600 did sound right Cori and as I needed to go from A to A (addB) I could finger x07655 to x07600 very nicely.
You need to move you chord shape across a string.

X07655 (xAAC#EA) - X07600 (xAAC#BE). So if the Moodies are playing in standard tuning and it's an Aadd9 they're playing, then Chris' solution would appear to be appropriate as it's got the right notes in it. But... His ears are telling him something is amiss.

I have no idea what the answer is. I'm just trying to ensure you're both on the same page in terms of chord shapes.

M
No, it is cool...all part of the fun lol! I just confused myself as to what we were actually after, sorry. My bad... In the quest to find and identify fingerings for the Aaad9. I lost track of the fact that chord didn't sound correct to him. I get it, now. Sorry :) I'll shut up now.

LAST AND FINAL EDIT I PROMISE...lol. Chris was going with X07600 E,A,C#,B,E (indeed the right notes for the Aadd9. But I thought I saw he was fretting X7600 E,G#,G,B,E a far more dissonant chord and A HUGE difference! I see where I went wrong. Doh! That's what you get for not reading the fine print. But is all good, do not fret Michele...pun intended. :) :)

neverfoundthetime

Mon May 27, 2013 6:34 am

Wow! Thanks for the interest and the time spend with my problem Stuart, Cori, Shell and Ness. No problem Cori, the road from A to B is often not a straight line... Michele was spot on. I am just grateful I have a great bunch of folks who I can ask and get such a great response when stuck. I learn really well this way. And Ness seems to have come up with the exact answer... it really does sound like
x02100 ... Amaj7sus2 ! In fact it sounds really beautiful going from the A: 002220 to Amaj7sus2 x02100. I have never tried that combination before. Lovely! Big smile all over my face here :) Thanks girl!

So it is normal tuning using first position A and then that lovely Amaj7sus2. Sounds even better on my 12 string... which is what we may be hearing on the original. i will work on and keep you posted. Hmmm, any budding E-guitarists fancy tackling that signature sound?

Happy Chris

daryl

Mon May 27, 2013 6:42 am

This is what I hear at 0:56 to 1:20.....

(F#m) When you (D) wake up, (A) you will (G) find

That you're (F#m) not where you (Bm) left your (A) self

There could be an F#m7 or an Aadd9 or a Bm7 sort of thing (for color) but this is the basic chord progression I'm hearing. What do you think Chris?

neverfoundthetime

Mon May 27, 2013 7:05 am

Thanks Daryl, will get back to you this evening after work!

Chasplaya

Mon May 27, 2013 1:38 pm

neverfoundthetime wrote:
You actually have time for work!

neverfoundthetime

Mon May 27, 2013 1:56 pm

Ha! Who speaketh there? I know not this stranger..... :-)

Chasplaya wrote:
neverfoundthetime wrote:
You actually have time for work!

neverfoundthetime

Mon May 27, 2013 3:16 pm

Yes Daryl, that bit seems ok. So far I have what's below in the pdf.
I think the verses are in 6/8 time which changes to 4/4 time with the Ahhh Ahhh churus and then back for the verse. Ness' wonderful Amaj7sus2 chord is exactly right and its on a 12 string which is fortunate as that's what I'm using!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic