Surviving in The Chord Jungle

neverfoundthetime

Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:17 pm

Well, as promised, this is the raw run through including all the rough edges. I decided to tune down the guitar by 2 half steps so that I could still play the same chord shapes as mapped out above but be able to sing in the higher register rather than dropping to the lower register (which I'd have to do, other wise as its a bit of scrape for me!). I found out while working out the singing that the song has more time on the Ahhh Ahhhs that the rest and this actually sounds nice in a lower register but the actual lyrics are better higher. Hmmm, tough call, should I stay in the original key and sing low or drop the guitar tuning two half steps and sing high? I went for option B. Playing and singing slow is always more difficult and I thought I was slow enough but I can see I sped up the Ahh Ahhs more than I wanted to, needs to slow down a bit more simply to fit the vocals in. I also added the second verse again to avoid having to go over time on the Ahhh Ahhhs, otherwise the song would be a bit short.

daryl

Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:03 pm

Nice Chris. I didn't hear any rough edges. I thought you did a bang up job. Smooth playing and singing. By the way, where did you record this (the reverb was quite nice)?

haoli25

Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:03 pm

Good job, Chris. I like the 'option B'. The higher vocals sound comfortable for you. In the future, you may want to move the capo slightly higher up the guitar strap. :)

Bill Image

neverfoundthetime

Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:19 pm

Thanks for listening in Daryl and Bill! Much appreciated.

Bill, you mean I'm slightly off with my capo positioning? :-)

Daryl, I filmed with my iPhone, stripped the audio and duplicated the track (in Adobe Audition, thnx Bill!), separated them by a few milli-seconds and paned to -40 left and +40 right to get that slight echo and then put the video and new adjusted audio track into AVS Video Editor and published it.
I recorded in the fitness room / music room which is in the cellar (all Swiss houses are built with atomic bomb shelters!) as that was the only quite space available this evening.

willem

Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:21 am

I am not so familair with the song but I think its a great one and you almost did it justice and (well you did),,can you tell why you speed up on the Aah spots?

Oh Yeah the moody songs need some echo so the room was perfect for that,,,

indeed slow singin is more difficult but you can do it

fine job Chris

Willem

neverfoundthetime

Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:27 am

Thanks for listening in Willem!

I guess I'm speeding up because I'm forgetting to stay slow.... which was always on my mind during the verse... but at the chorus, I loose the focus slightly. Staying slow takes a real effort!

thereshopeyet

Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:03 pm

Chris

Great job, you played it well (from your cell block H ?????)

Cool sound and singing .

Dermot

willem

Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:05 pm

neverfoundthetime wrote:
Thanks for listening in Willem!

I guess I'm speeding up because I'm forgetting to stay slow.... which was always on my mind during the verse... but at the chorus, I loose the focus slightly. Staying slow takes a real effort!

Don't know if it will work but when you work to the Aah's and you are there maybe make a little pause on the strumming and when you start singin them(the Aah's) start the strumming again,,just an idea..

Willem

neverfoundthetime

Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:22 pm

Yeah, I think I did that Willem... at least, that was my intention! :-)

Dermot, thanks for listening in, I did promise you the post. You win the special prize... I was waiting for the first jail-house reference! Sure looks like a block house, doesn't it, but its only a bomb shelter! At least I can sing out down there... very Swiss... and talking of very Swiss... as I write, someone is blowing an alp horn out side, nice to hear.

willem

Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:30 pm

neverfoundthetime wrote:
Yeah, I think I did that Willem... at least, that was my intention! :-)

Dermot, thanks for listening in, I did promise you the post. You win the special prize... I was waiting for the first jail-house reference! Sure looks like a block house, doesn't it, but its only a bomb shelter! At least I can sing out down there... very Swiss... and talking of very Swiss... as I write, someone is blowing an alp horn out side, nice to hear.

Oh YES,,I looked again now and indeed you did that and then came the sped! up,,maybe then keep your foot tapping in right speed,,,just an Idea again..

Willem

Edit I do not know if its bad,,the speeding thing,,maybe its not..

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic