Triplets

Lavallee

Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:01 am

I just went through Neil's great Guide to reading music. Now that I went through the four lessons I will work on the exercises. Lesson 4 talks about ties and dotted notes. I understand those. I am still puzzled by triplets (maybe it will be discussed in the next lessons). I understand that they are 3 notes in one beat.

I am never sure how to handle them, whether I should take it from a down or up stroke. I would think that it should be the next logical sequence from the previous note stroke. However it does not seem to always work properly as when I come out of the triplet sometimes it does not seem to fit with the next one. Like if the end of the triplet is a down stroke followed by a quarter note which is a down stroke, I feel |I loose the beat.

Any help for the clarification would be appreciated

Marc

TGNesh

Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:15 am

Well just a quick thought for now, starting with a triplet depends on, at which beat you start it:

Taking it from beat 1 it would be: 1down up down, 2up down up, 3down up down, 4up down up,

So beat 1 starts with a downstroke, beat 2 with an upstroke, beat 3 with a downstroke and beat 4 with an upstroke.

Does that make sense?

willem

Sat Jun 29, 2013 5:40 am

Lavallee wrote:
I just went through Neil's great Guide to reading music. Now that I went through the four lessons I will work on the exercises. Lesson 4 talks about ties and dotted notes. I understand those. I am still puzzled by triplets (maybe it will be discussed in the next lessons). I understand that they are 3 notes in one beat.

I am never sure how to handle them, whether I should take it from a down or up stroke. I would think that it should be the next logical sequence from the previous note stroke. However it does not seem to always work properly as when I come out of the triplet sometimes it does not seem to fit with the next one. Like if the end of the triplet is a down stroke followed by a quarter note which is a down stroke, I feel |I loose the beat.

Any help for the clarification would be appreciated

Marc

Hi Marc,,the Beatle song/lesson (target)''with a little help from my friends'' tells also about triplets

Willem

Lavallee

Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:31 am

Thank you Ness this is a very helpful approach. I like that it is a system making it easier to troubleshoot.

Thanks Willem, I just watched the lesson and also helps to get a feel for it.

Marc

willem

Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:03 pm

Lavallee wrote:
Thank you Ness this is a very helpful approach. I like that it is a system making it easier to troubleshoot.

Thanks Willem, I just watched the lesson and also helps to get a feel for it.

Marc

Neil was also talking about triplets in the news after your Q:

Willem

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic