Timing and counting

fjeanmur

Thu Jul 04, 2013 5:53 pm

Hi Kenny!

I have to chime in with the others and say that timing is important and to finally "get it" will take some work. I was fortunate enough to have taken lots of piano lessons as a kid, so this idea of counting 1,2,3,4 is not too strange. I remember being taught to count "1,2,3,4" for quarter notes, "1 and, 2 and, 3 and, 4 and" for eight notes and "1 ee and ee, 2 ee and ee, 3 ee and ee, 4 ee and ee" for sixteenth notes. Of course this business of up down strumming is particular with the guitar. Just follow what Neil and Vanessa tell you to do and you can't go wrong.

I also use an iPad app called Metro Timer. It comes with a collection of chimes and bings, but recently my daughter showed me the "H" setting which has this Munchkin robot voice that counts "1, 2, 3, 4'. We laughed hysterically, but then I told her she was a genius because it can be very helpful if you have someone else doing the counting while you think about other things.

Also as another member mentioned, don't be afraid to put something aside for a while and go on to something else. Many times what you learn in the next song will help you with what you previously worked on. Good luck.

Jean

TGNesh

Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:17 am

I have been thinking about wanting such a metronome for ages, it is so exhausting :blink: needing to count as much I generally do (when working with students. Yes, i try to let them count, but that's really hard, so eventually I'm often counting myself :S . So this is great :cheer: ! Immediately downloaded one, very curious how that will work out, thanks Jean!! :)

fjeanmur wrote:
Hi Kenny!

I have to chime in with the others and say that timing is important and to finally "get it" will take some work. I was fortunate enough to have taken lots of piano lessons as a kid, so this idea of counting 1,2,3,4 is not too strange. I remember being taught to count "1,2,3,4" for quarter notes, "1 and, 2 and, 3 and, 4 and" for eight notes and "1 ee and ee, 2 ee and ee, 3 ee and ee, 4 ee and ee" for sixteenth notes. Of course this business of up down strumming is particular with the guitar. Just follow what Neil and Vanessa tell you to do and you can't go wrong.

I also use an iPad app called Metro Timer. It comes with a collection of chimes and bings, but recently my daughter showed me the "H" setting which has this Munchkin robot voice that counts "1, 2, 3, 4'. We laughed hysterically, but then I told her she was a genius because it can be very helpful if you have someone else doing the counting while you think about other things.

Also as another member mentioned, don't be afraid to put something aside for a while and go on to something else. Many times what you learn in the next song will help you with what you previously worked on. Good luck.

Jean

Hydroman52

Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:13 pm

Hi Kenny,

I don't do too much counting. It's usually when I get stuck and things don't quite sound right. Then I slow things way down and try to match what I'm playing with what I'm hearing or what is jangling around in my mind. Where most of the counting comes in is when I try to break it down for a band mate or vice versa. That's usually only until we get it down the way we want to do it (only a few times). If we can tie our pauses and accents in with words or syllables in the lyrics, that's a whole lot better. When we get the solution, we'll repeat only a small section of the song over and over again until we figure we've got it down good. This means we will play a verse or a chorus over and over again in a loop without stopping for 5 or 10 times. I would say that this is mostly done with singing harmonies, because those need to be synchronized pretty closely. We move on to something else and then we'll come back to it later to see if it stuck. The more you do it, the easier it gets. Pretty soon, you won't need to do it much, if at all.

One thing that has helped me in the past is a drum program where you can create loops in a graphic interface and do editing while the loop is playing. You may be able to do this in GuitarPro. I use a little program called Drumsite. It's easier when I can visualize it while it is playing and I can move things around to see and hear what it changes.

Hydroman52

wiley

Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:03 pm

thereshopeyet

Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:43 am

:laugh: :laugh:

Wiley Wrote:
To "T.H.Y" - "7"th sense?? Crap! Never gonna get there, still waiting for my 'sixth' sense to show its face!!
Crap yep ! Hey sure I struggle with Common Sense Wiley never mind a 7th sense !!!
:blush: :blush:
:S

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic