Lead playing

jayswett

Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:25 pm

Hydroman and others,
Thanks for the replies. My plan is to get through the set of lessons that the site offers and see where to go from there. Once I get a sense as to how the loop station works (I do think that will be helpful), I will reassess my plan. Face to face lessons makes some sense to me, but time is really an issue with that. Middle age does not allow for alot of free time for this sort of thing, sadly. For those interested, I will post an update in a couple of weeks.

dekotaj

Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:34 am

jayswett wrote:
Hydroman and others,
Thanks for the replies. My plan is to get through the set of lessons that the site offers and see where to go from there. Face to face lessons makes some sense to me, but time is really an issue with that. Middle age does not allow for alot of free time for this sort of thing, sadly. For those interested, I will post an update in a couple of weeks.
Hey Jay Face to face is good if you find the right teacher!!!!!!!!! I will not go to a teacher week to week. Maybe every two weeks. This gives me time to try and understand and work on what he is showing me. I'm getting to old and lazy to do week to week.
I would not pay a teacher to so me how to play scales.Not that scale work is not a good thing to learn.If you will let me ( assume ) some things here. Take all this with a grain of salt.
Scale work is about the patterns.Learn the patterns and then move them from key to key.But when working patterns knowing the notes will help a lot. For me playing leads is about playing over chord progression. Riffs are the best way to learn how to use leads for playing over chords. For me learning the best way to use this riffs was to PLAY a Blues backing tracks and finding way to play these riffs along with those tracks.( fast track,slow tracks & moving the same riffs from key to key ) For me, using 12 barrs, was a good way to work this. You no the chord progressions 1,4, & 5. I will ASSUME 4/4 timing. So now we have the building blocks to start.So a standard 12 barrs would be in C= CCCC FFCC GFC turn around. And just starting maybe playing a little riff over every other measure. So C-C-F-C-G-C and leave the turn around to the other guitar for now.For me this was a good place to start. Honestly, its as hard to start learning lead work as starting guitar. Be sure and try ending your riffs with the root of each chord. If this make any scene, PM me and I will try and help the best I can.

I have not had the time to check out Neils lesson on leads. But when he first posted them,I was thinking that would be a great look and approach to start learning that part of lead playing.

Kev

jayswett

Sun Dec 01, 2013 2:15 pm

Good advice Kevin. I worked a bit today on Melisaa, using Neils backing track and it sounded suprisingly good after just a couple of hours of work. I agree that in some ways, learning leads and scales is bitlike starting to learn guitar from scratch. More to come. I ami encouraged by what I experienced today.

TGNeil

Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:15 pm

Hey Gang,

Here is a simple path to take when working on lead:

1. Play the melody to the song, or as close as you can get
2. Take some liberties with the rhythm, plating notes earlier or later than the place you think they should be
3. Change some of the notes to other notes in the scale, hold some longer, leave others quicker
4. Think about answering the melody with a short counter-phrase
5. Think melodically, reuse motifs with embellishment
6. Think melodically, do not attempt Eruption!

Not as simple as I meant to be but I will build on this soon.

Neil

tombo1230

Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:33 am

Thanks Neil,
this is very useful.

Tom N.

thereshopeyet

Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:21 pm

Neil Wrote:
Not as simple as I meant to be but I will build on this soon.
Sure doesn't sound simple looking at your list Neil.
Sounds like you have something interesting in store for us.
More goodies to look forward too.

Thanks

Dermot

jimi40

Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:00 pm

http://jguitar.com/

I have found this site very helpful with printing out various scales (scale calculator). Also the chord namer is fun to use. I have been studying scale patterns and 3 string triads but never put the two together until I watched Neils's lesson on leads. The triads are a great way to quickly locate scale tones. Would love some more lessons on finding the melody of a song.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic