Vocal "Classification" - a sort of answer for Jason

wiley

Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:56 pm

In an attempt to answer Jason (MJ) on his question of “I have no idea what vocal range I am”;

NOTE: Relative to ‘concert’ tuning (where A4 = 440hz), equal temperament (12 TET = twelve –tone equal temperament) tuning,
88 key piano – first white (natural) key is A0 (A – zero) and third white (natural) key equals C1 (C – one)

*Ergo, we call an ‘octave range’ (using key of Cmajor) in alphabetical order beginning with “C” – as in “C” – “D” – “E” – “F” – “G” – “A” – “B” – then begin anew, next octave

** NOTE: This example deals in relation to what most of us are playing, a 20 fret, 6 string acoustic guitar tuned to ‘standard’ concert tuning.

Range of a ‘standard’ tuned 6 string guitar, largest (top) string (which can be called 1st or 6th – dependent) would be tuned to E2 (E – two) at 82.41hz.

On most Acoustic guitars, we have a range of 20 frets – we find A4@440hz (our ‘benchmark) at the fifth fret of the ‘e’ string (smallest, 1st or 6th). The 17th fret should be A5@880hz and the 20th fret being C6@1,046.50hz

So - E2 to C6 (20 fret) and/or 82.41hz to 1,046.50hz

All that to try and give everyone a sort of ‘benchmark’ on the guitar to find your ‘vocal range’. Now for the fun part, a ‘range’ is not exactly, “how low can you go and how high”? Instead it’s more of a ‘comfort/usable’ thing. We are not all Mariah Carey and we are most likely not going to find we can run through 4 or five octaves! Or most likely not even three. Even then, if we strain at certain points would we be ‘understood’ by others? So, a singer’s ‘tessitura’ is where the voice has the best timbre, easy volume, and most comfort.

Actually, it is referred to as ‘Voice Types’ and/or ‘Voice Classification’. There are even experts in the field, called “Vocal Pedagogists” and are trained in gauging all sort of criteria in (more or less) that Classification. Now to further muddy the water I’ll use my Grand Daughter as an example. She is “Classified” as a “Soprano 2” meaning what?

A “Soprano 1” need sing higher Tones, yet the voice is usually lighter and less defined as where a “Soprano 2” is more ‘heavy’ or bigger and usually do not stay in the ‘higher end’ (when a lot of time is spent) in those higher registers.

Yet, she can a does have other ranges, including what a Soprano 1 would be able to hit, just not long enough or light enough, IOW – it’s a bit of a struggle while she’s there. Same as lower register – yes she can hit there and she is understandable there, yet she loses some comfort. Put this way, put her in with a bunch of Soprano 1s and even though she’s singing the exact same tone, she sticks out…..

So, enough huh….. here’s the ‘ranges’ for the six most ‘classifications’ of vocals….

Soprano: C4 – C6
Mezzo-soprano: A3 – A5
Contralto: F3 – F5
Tenor: C3 – C5
Baritone: F2 – F4
Bass: E2 – E4

So Jason, pick up that guitar (NO,NO - NOT the twelve string!) and hum – sing ‘dough’ then ‘ray’ and then ‘me’ ………..and find that ‘classification'. Like it really matters huh? You sound great and you need not be ‘classified’ to do so! It'll give you a general ideal.

***FINAL NOTE = There are several 'apps' out there which will show a graph on what the frequencies are you are singing. In fact, if you have a Tuner that uses an "input' where you can use a mic, you can do the same (sorta-kinda). Yet these rarely show one specific hz, due to overtones and ambient sounds and other factors. Every sound we hear is actually a 'composite' of different frequencies and amplitude so a good 'guess' is about all one is going to get without finding and hiring a pro "Pedagogists" to classify you. Maybe you know a local choir director, most of them are trained in this!
I'm currently enrolled to take classes on FOH sound (Front Of House) and am farting around with a couple of these apps. So far I really have not gotten a handle on them. Part of that class deals with, of course, EQs and things (processing the signal) therefore, a knowledge of these frequencies is needed. Interesting, but boooorrrrring!

TGNesh

Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:41 pm

Very interesting Wiley, thanks for the summary! :)

Music Junkie

Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:44 pm

Wiley: Ah.... Squirrel!...... :woohoo:

O.K., in all seriousness, that was pretty fascinating, and informative. When I first started taking lessons, my instructor was having me work on solfege for ear training. We would go through various scales and do the whole Do, ray, mi thing. As we would get to octaves above and below middle C, we would find ranges I just could not get too (neither could he, so it was all good..lol). I will mess with it a bit more and see. Thanks for taking the time to put this up! Very cool. B)

Jason

Edit I would imagine that Jim over at Totally Vocals has some info on finding your range as well. B)

BigBear

Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:26 pm

Great stuff Wiley! Thanks for sharing that. You continue to be an encyclopedia of good info!! We'll start calling you the Oracle.

Miss you buddy! You'd better be at IGC 2014. For moral support if nothing else. LOL!

wiley

Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:25 am

Thanks Rick, honestly I did the post sort of 'selfishly' as part of my lesson package/homework stuff. I remembered (sorta) half way through Jason had mentioned he'd taken vocal lessons before...

Already looking at flights!!!

Music Junkie

Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:30 am

wiley wrote:
Thanks Rick, honestly I did the post sort of 'selfishly' as part of my lesson package/homework stuff. I remembered (sorta) half way through Jason had mentioned he'd taken vocal lessons before...

Already looking at flights!!!
Wiley:

I never took vocal lessons, it was my guitar instructor that had me working on solfege for ear training. ;) I would have been WAY too self conscious to ever take vocal lessons. Maybe less so these days, but back then for sure!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic