soloing, jamming

willem

Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:58 pm

If we follow a 12 bar blues in E ! Is my knowledge good when I say , we can solo over this with using notes out of the E minor pentatonic scale??

Or maybe mix the E major pentatonic and the E minor pentatonic.

Willem

willem

Sun Jul 06, 2014 5:53 pm

willem wrote:
If we follow a 12 bar blues in E ! Is my knowledge good when I say , we can solo over this with using notes out of the E minor pentatonic scale??

Willem
I think I'm totally wrong here,I folowed again the lessons videos on this and know now that when a song is in a major key we can solo over it with the major pentatonic notes and his relative minor, so when the song is in E we can use notes from the C# minor pentatonic, but the lesson goes also over patterns and that confuses me a lot,

So in which pattern number do we start when the blues is in E ?

Willem

daryl

Sun Jul 06, 2014 6:25 pm

Willem, I am absolutely no expert here but I think one can jam with the Em pentatonic over an E blues. And I think you can use the E major pentatonic scale over the one chord.

The E minor pentatonic in the 1st position is: (E G) (A B ) (D E) (G A) (B D) (E G)

7645slug

Sun Jul 06, 2014 6:35 pm

The minor pentatonic scale is normally used because it contains 2 of the 3 notes that are considered Blue Notes which are the b3, and b7. The other Blue Note is the b5 which if added gives you what is called the Blues Scale

So looking at the Pentatonic notes, in E major we would have E-F#-G#-B-C#-E (lose 4 and 7) and in E minor we would have E-G-A-B-D-E (lose 2 and 6). G is the b3 and D is the b7. Adding a Bb gives you the additional b5.

If soloing over a more pop/rock oriented song, the E major pentatonic would probably be more appropriate.

Hope that helps.

tombo1230

Sun Jul 06, 2014 6:36 pm

willem wrote:

Willem
As I understand it Blues is the only music that you can use both Minor and Major Pentatonic scales to solo over with. You can evoke the three fret rule, by this I mean if you can play a lick in the minor key, go three frets lower and the same lick will work, but only for a blues backing track. Hope this helps. :) Anyway this is how I understand it Willem, but I am no expert. I am still at the early stages of soloing myself.

Willem, you will soon be sounding like Clapton. :)

tombo1230

Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:05 pm

daryl wrote:
[quote]Willem, I am absolutely no expert here but I think one can jam with the Em pentatonic over an E blues. And I think you can use the E major pentatonic scale over the one chord.

The E minor pentatonic in the 1st position is: (E G) (A B ) (D E) (G A) (B D) (E G)

willem

Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:27 am

Thanks so far,,I asked before a question a bout this ..

http://www.totallyguitars.com/forum/112 ... tml#102667

And followed this too.

http://www.totallyguitars.com/target-so ... /6524.html

willem

Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:05 pm

7645slug wrote:
The minor pentatonic scale is normally used because it contains 2 of the 3 notes that are considered Blue Notes which are the b3, and b7. The other Blue Note is the b5 which if added gives you what is called the Blues Scale

So looking at the Pentatonic notes, in E major we would have E-F#-G#-B-C#-E (lose 4 and 7) and in E minor we would have E-G-A-B-D-E (lose 2 and 6). G is the b3 and D is the b7. Adding a Bb gives you the additional b5.

If soloing over a more pop/rock oriented song, the E major pentatonic would probably be more appropriate.

Hope that helps.
Thanks Tom?..

After reviewing the lesson videos a bout pentatonics scales(and patterns) I refreshed my brain and now I totally understand how to make the pentatonic scales out major and minor scales..however i could'nt find anything a bout the blues and soloing but I do understand now why it can (blues in E -soloing with Em 'cos of the blue(flatted) notes and the added Bb what gives a blues scale , thanks again..

''If soloing over a more pop/rock oriented song, the E major pentatonic would probably be more appropriate'' also this I understand..

You gave a clear and understandable answer to me..

Adding pentatonic scales in patterns and! number! them has to sink in 'cos Neil as his own number system I believe but I will review the video lesson again and again and hope it will sit..

Willem

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic