A riff is a riff. Or is it?

michelew

Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:36 pm

One of my latest ear-worms (in addition to a few Jason Mraz songs) is Street Spirit (Fade Out) by Radiohead. I love the song. The riff (or what I think is a riff), the repeated phrase the starts the song, it just grabs me. I love its crisp, clean beauty, it's spooky quality and the way it acts as the glue of the song. The song just wouldn't be the same without it. There is another repeated phrase in the song that could also be called a riff... I think...

But is it a riff? I assume the answer is yes (or deeeeerrrrrr, of course!) and that this is a "riff-driven" song. But is it? I'm a little confused. I looked it up and ... Yes, maybe, but... Could it be a vamp instead ... Something else, or a few things?.... I was thinking about recording it and decided it might be possible to actually loop it. So... Is that a sign that it's a riff?

Maybe this is a simple case of what the blood hell (for Sandy's benefit) does it matter? Play the damn song. :P (yes, yes, not need to think so loudly). :) still I'm curious.

So... What do you think? And what are your favourite examples of strong riff-driven songs, that you play or just love I guess? Want to start a riff song thread...Anyone??? :)

And here's a video of Radiohead.

Here's an extract from Wikipedia.

"Riff" redirects here. For other uses, see Riff (disambiguation).

In various popular music styles, riff refers to a brief, relaxed phrase repeated over changing melodies. It may serve as a refrain or melodic figure, often played by the rhythm section instruments or solo instruments that form the basis or accompaniment of a musical composition.[17] Though they are most often found in rock music, Latin, funk and jazz, classical music is also sometimes based on a simple riff, such as Ravel's Boléro. Riffs can be as simple as a tenor saxophone honking a simple, catchy rhythmic figure, or as complex as the riff-based variations in the head arrangements played by the Count Basie Orchestra.

David Brackett (1999) defines riffs as, "...short melodic phrases," while Richard Middleton (1999)[18] defines them as "short rhythmic, melodic, or harmonic figures repeated to form a structural framework". Rikky Rooksby[19] states, "A riff is a short, repeated, memorable musical phrase, often pitched low on the guitar, which focuses much of the energy and excitement of a rock song."

BBC Radio 2, in compiling its list of 100 Greatest Guitar Riffs, defined a riff as "the main hook of a song and must be played principally by a guitar. It often begins the song, but is repeated throughout it, giving the song its distinctive voice".[20]

Riff driven
The term 'riff driven' describes a piece of music that relies on a repeated instrumental riff as the basis of its most prominent melody, cadence, or (in some cases) leitmotif. Riff-driven songs are largely a product of jazz, blues, and post-blues era music (rock and pop).[25] The musical goal of riff-driven songs is akin to the classical continuo effect, but raised to much higher importance (in fact, the repeated riff is used to anchor the song in the ears of the listener). The riff/continuo is brought to the forefront of the musical piece and often is the primary melody that remains in the listener's ears. A call and response often holds the song together, creating a "circular" rather than linear feel.[26]

A few examples of riff-driven songs are "Whole Lotta Love" and "Black Dog" by Led Zeppelin,[27][28]"Day Tripper", and "I Feel Fine" by The Beatles,[citation needed] "Brown Sugar" and "(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction" by The Rolling Stones,[29] "Hammer To Fall by Queen, "Outshined" by Soundgarden,[citation needed] "Enter Sandman" by Metallica,[citation needed] "Smoke on the Water" by Deep Purple,[citation needed] "Holy Wars... The Punishment Due" by Megadeth,[citation needed] "Mind Games" by John Lennon, ,[citation needed] "Message in a Bottle" by The Police,[citation needed] and "The Trooper" by Iron Maiden.[citation needed]

Vamp

Vamp riff typical of funk and R&B.[30] Play
In music, a vamp is a repeating musical figure, section,[30] or accompaniment used in blues, jazz, gospel, soul, and musical theater.[31] Vamps are also found in rock, funk, reggae, R&B, pop, country, and post-sixties jazz.[30] Vamps are usually harmonically sparse:[30] A vamp may consist of a single chord or a sequence of chords played in a repeated rhythm. The term frequently appeared in the instruction 'Vamp till ready' on sheet music for popular songs in the 1930s and 1940s, indicating that the accompanist should repeat the musical phrase until the vocalist was ready. Vamps are generally symmetrical, self-contained, and open to variation.[30] The equivalent in classical music is an ostinato, in hip hop is the loop and in rock music is the riff.[30]

auntlynnie

Sat Oct 04, 2014 7:08 am

Hi Michelle,
The video wouldn't play in the U.S. so here's one that worked for me.

[video][/video]

I know next to nothing about what a riff is or isn't. After reading the definitions I still don't know. I thought that a riff was something like what what we hear in the song Layla or Ramblin' Man, but maybe those are just hooks? I'll be curious to know what others think, because now you've got me curious about it.

Either way, I love the song, thanks for introducing me to it.

Lynn

TGNeil

Sat Oct 04, 2014 7:30 am

Hi Michele,

Great question and a very cool song, although there is a problem playing the video in the US apparently. One thing that defines a riff is it is melodic, you should be able to sing it. Street Spirit is really an arpeggio with an upper voice outlining a simple melody. Think about what you hear in Don't Fear The Reaper or Babe I'm Gonna Leave You, multiple lines moving independently. In both of those you can follow the bass and the top note of each pattern separately. In Street Spirit I hear, and follow three components, the bass note, the upper voice with a repeating melodic movement, and a droning harmonic note in the middle. Every note is played individually though, making this a good fingerpicking exercise, as well as a great ear-training tune.

In spite of the fact that it moves quickly, I would like to hear what everybody thinks is going on as far as the chord progression and exact notes played over each chord. Another community project if you will. I would guess you already know how to play it so maybe it is too late to suggest it as a project but maybe others will weigh in with what they hear before tracking down the tab.

The definitions in Wikipedia were spot on, the main thing with a vamp is that it can go on as long as necessary until everybody is ready to head into a verse, chorus, or whatever section is coming next. A vamp is commonly used in hula, where the dancers will call out the first word of the next verse to let the musicians/singers know they are ready to head into it, keeping everyone on the same page.

Neil

dekotaj

Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:06 am

Hey Sis.

This is the song that made me start checking out Radiohead.Really like there stuff.

I have checked out this song,so I will not give away the answer that Neil was asking.

Kev

sandysue

Sat Oct 04, 2014 1:30 pm

Wow Shel I thought a vamp was a femme fatale, also referred to by the French as a fatal woman. :P is that anything like a piker?? :P

Max

Sat Oct 04, 2014 2:58 pm

I'm not even going to attempt to answer the RIFF question.
But here's my latest earwig. I can't get the whistle part (RIFF)??? out of my head.

Fitz And The Tantrums - The Walker

Max

michelew

Sat Oct 04, 2014 9:01 pm

TGNeil wrote:
Hi Michele,

... Street Spirit is really an arpeggio with an upper voice outlining a simple melody. ... In Street Spirit I hear, and follow three components, the bass note, the upper voice with a repeating melodic movement, and a droning harmonic note in the middle. Every note is played individually though, making this a good fingerpicking exercise, as well as a great ear-training tune.

In spite of the fact that it moves quickly, I would like to hear what everybody thinks is going on as far as the chord progression and exact notes played over each chord. Another community project if you will.

Neil

Thanks so much Neil.

If I understand you correctly, you're saying this is just a picking pattern for a rapidly changing chord progression. So the two bars that repeat for a lot of the song would seem to break into the following:

- bass - a sustained low A on the fifth string (until the E in the second part of the second bar)
- drone - a repeating A on the third string
- simple melody - E, D, E, C, E, B, ( or just a descending D, C, B if the E is also a drone or the drone).

Progression - of the main two-bar repeating section (at least as it occurs in the intro - this is really the only part of the song I've worked out - the repeating phrase):
- bar 1 - low A, mid A, E, D - Asus4 (but if we treat it as two separate bits like the second bar, then maybe it should be A5 (just As and E) and Asus4)
- 1st half of bar 2 - low A, mid A, E, C - Am
- 2nd half of bar 2 - low A, mid A, B, mid E (4th string) - Asus2.

I'm probably counting the bars incorrectly, but that would make the progression for the repeating picking section A5, Asus4, Am, Asus2. Once the vocals and other instruments (violins ?.???) ... I'll need out do more homework to see whether more notes are added.

During the verse ..the high melody seems to remain the same for E, D, E, C, E, B. Throughout the verse, I think.

The bass:
- A for most of it, this section has a minor feel and Am strummed over the top sounds right
- E (at - first verse "all these things into position, all these things we'll one day swallow") - So here they may become E-type chords. - It still has a minor quality and Em strummed over it sounds Ok.
- in the "fade out section" (which I guess is actually the chorus) the bass moves to C, B, A, C, E (with an E just before the end of the two bar sections like in the picking pattern itself). So what does this make the chords... (Probably some sort of C, B chords didn't sound right but Em strummed over it did and returning to Am did too)

Drone:
It sounds like the drone changes at one point to an E on the 4th string, when the bass changes to E.

So for this section E-phrase the progression with the bass and picking guitar (I haven't worked out whether the other instruments and the vocals are adding other notes) would be :
- Low E, mid E, high E, D - (But no third or fifth so...) an E (something) 7 - though the whole E- section sounds minor in nature and sounds OK with an Em strummed over it.
- Low E, mid E, high E, C - (But no third or fifth so...) E (something) 6???
- Low E, mid E, B, A? - a fifth but no third, Esus4

So I think roughly it is:

Verse
- A5 (or Am), Asus4, Am, Asus2 - repeated a lot until the E section
- Em (with variations)
- A5, Asus4, Am, Asus2

Chorus
C Em/B (maybe) Am (or some fancier versions of those chord)
C Em

I now realise that it's the high melody that repeats for the majority of the verse and that the drone note and bass of course change a bit. It's interesting to hear that my head was fixated on the high section and so I assumed the picking it just continued throughout the verse the same as it was in the intro.

I've edited this post a bit, sorry to those who have read it a few times.

I'm not sure I have the patience to decipher it all note by note like this to be honest. :) but besides making me listen harder, it's been really interesting to dissect it in this way.

michelew

Sat Oct 04, 2014 9:18 pm

dekotaj wrote:
Hey Sis.

This is the song that made me start checking out Radiohead.Really like there stuff.

I have checked out this song,so I will not give away the answer that Neil was asking.

Kev
Kev, I really like their stuff too and Creep is an absolute favourite. I've seen some good ukulele versions of it too, which gives it a nice twist. I'll look for them.

Nice version you've posted.

Thanks sweet man.

michelew

Sat Oct 04, 2014 9:19 pm

sandysue wrote:
Wow Shel I thought a vamp was a femme fatale, also referred to by the French as a fatal woman. :P is that anything like a piker?? :P
Sandy, I think a vamp could be someone that really SUCKS too. :P, a piker, haha! I see what you mean. :)

michelew

Sat Oct 04, 2014 9:23 pm

Lyn, thanks for the new link. I've included it. Hopefully that works for you in the US. I'm glad I'm not alone in being at a bit of a loss as to what a riff is and isn't. Melodic... I think I'm getting it. You're welcome for the introduction to this song.

Max - that is a catchy melody. Riff... Ahhhh... I'm thinking maybe not, as I imagine it's just a melodic phrase that reappears often.... But I'm not sure whether that might also be a riff (whistled, rather than played on a guitar)... So I still I can't say I know what a riff is and what it isn't yet. :)

Edit: on rereading the definition above, it may well be.

The more I learn, the less I know. :)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic