capos and keys

jimi40

Fri Apr 10, 2015 6:22 pm

My question revolves around changing the key of a song using a capo to better match ones voice. I understand how a capo works and how you can use it to change the key of a song and keep the chords the same and also how it can be used to keep a song in the same key but change the relative key to make the chord progression easier. I like to use it when I play with my daughter so that we are playing on different parts of the neck and I believe it adds some variety to the song.

Recently I watched the lesson for Bob Segers Still The Same where Neil used a capo to put the song in a better key for his voice (from key of C to A). He stated that he wouldn't be able to reach some of the higher notes of the song but wouldn't adding a capo and playing further up the neck make the notes higher. I am sure that I am confusing octaves and keys as they relate to singing. Thanks

TGNesh

Sat Apr 11, 2015 7:42 am

I checked the lesson Jimi. For Neil the key of C was too low, so he used a capo on the 3rd fret, which puts him in the absolutely key of Eb, so he didn't change from C to A, which would be down (I didn't find the spot where he says that he wouldn't be able to reach the higher notes, so I don't get that specific bit). Bút later he explained how to transpose it to the key of A, which was just an example.

Cheers,

Vanessa

willem

Sat Apr 11, 2015 8:23 am

I understand this, when a song is to high for singin it you can sing it a octave lower but that can be to low, so capo it up can bring that octave lower a few notes up (hope you understand what I try to say)

Willem

TGNesh

Sat Apr 11, 2015 8:28 am

You're very right about that Willem, but it's not what happened or what Neil was talking about in the lesson.

willem wrote:
I understand this, when a song is to high for singin it you can sing it a octave lower but that can be to low, so capo it up can bring that octave lower a few notes up (hope you understand what I try to say)

Willem

willem

Sat Apr 11, 2015 8:45 am

TGVanessa wrote:
You're very right about that Willem, but it's not what happened or what Neil was talking about in the lesson.

willem wrote:

Willem
Forgot to say it had nothing to do with that lesson, it was more general.

Willem

jimi40

Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:07 pm

great
both answers helped me understand this concept

Vanessa- I was confused. To keep the song in key of C but capo'd at 3rd fret you would play in the relative key of A. But he was playing in the key of Eb which makes sense. Thanks

Willem- a point that I hadn't considered

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic