Music Theory 101 Visual Aid

heithoff

Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:11 pm

First, I hope my attachment made it along with the post. If not I'll try again.

When I was trying to learn music theory and being told what chords are in a given key I listened and took that info at face value, memorizing and following what was being taught. I just wasn't being told the WHY or the basic reason that the 2nd, 3rd and 6th were in the minor family and so on. I decided to peck out what I was learning on an excel spread sheet and found that it was a very good visual aid for me. That's what the attachment is.

I'm posting this for 2 main reasons...

1) I think at the core this is correct but I don't know if it is solid all the way through. Being a TG member for a few years now I know there are MANY knowledgeable members out there that could critic this, let alone if Neil or the other TG staff would have any time to give feed back, that would be great!

2) If by chance that a good majority of this is correct and there is some teaching value to this, it would be very satisfying if another TG member could benefit by it. Again my brain didn't see music theory 101 until it was a "visual aid" in front of my face!

I look forward to any corrections!

Dave Heithoff

TGNesh

Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:24 pm

Looking forward to seeing your spread sheet Dave! Unfortunately......it's not there...I think several of us have problems trying to attach something, I know I do... :( Hopefully you can make it work anyway!

Ness

thereshopeyet

Thu Apr 23, 2015 6:08 pm

Dave

If you want your attachment to show, put it in a zip file.
then attach the zip file.

TheresHopeYet

:P

heithoff

Fri Apr 24, 2015 2:57 pm

Thanks I'll see if I can do that and try again. I was going to place a help request as to what I did wrong.
Thanks

dave

heithoff

Fri Apr 24, 2015 4:07 pm

I hope I successfully changed this to a zip file and that it is part of THIS post. :X I guess I am truly an Analog man trying to cope in a Digital world! If by chance "thereshopeyet" then maybe this attachment/post can still be a successful one :laugh:

Again (if its attached) I look forward to feedback.

Thanks

Dave H. http://www.totallyguitars.com/images/fb ... _Scale.zip

thereshopeyet

Fri Apr 24, 2015 5:28 pm

Hello David

Your Excel Sheet downloaded fine for me since you put it in a zip file.
:cheer:

I like Excel too.
I use it as a memory aid to look stuff up because I have the memory of a sieve ! :dry:

Putting it together probably helped you because you went through a process.

I feel a tad over whelmed looking at it.
Information overload.

What about simplifying the content (as much as possible) to individual demo examples.
Others looking it could then go through the process for themselves.

What really matters is that it worked for you.
Thanks for sharing it.

Dave Wrote:

Have you looked at Neil's Acoustic Genius Series - Modes
Neil has a great way of explaining them.

Dermot

takhak

Sat Apr 25, 2015 5:34 pm

Dave, This is great. My old guitar teacher took it a step further. Picture graph paper
folded in three . He laid out the intervals like you have them, then hole-punched them out like windows.
He wrote out the scale 7 times for each mode and extended them past 8 like yours.
This was on a separate paper that would be inserted into the folded intervals .
Everything lined up nicely. If you wanted to see D and it's modes instead of C, slide D
into box 1. He had triads on a separate line.
Dermot is right. If it helped you, and it didn't seem like homework, there is no downside.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic