Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:31 am

leeson wrote:
jimi40 wrote:
G lydian
A mixolydian
That sounds right to me.
Neil?
Absolutely right. Now for a little more on the Dorian vs. Minor debate-

In A Minor chords IV and V can be either Minor or Major, thanks to the harmonic minor scale, opening the door for this to be considered Minor. I still would call this Dorian and I will go into it tomorrow on the News.

In the meantime, what reasoning might I be using?

Neil

thereshopeyet

Fri Jul 03, 2015 3:41 pm

Neil

This topic has been an interesting one for me.
I thought I'd sorted modes a while back.
But then realised I'd forgotton some if the theory, so had to refer back to the AGS Modes Inside out.

I'm still not sure I've got it worked out.

Compared to the Major Scale the Dorian Mode has a half step between 6and 7, which give it's unique sound.
I don't think this has anything to do with what you mention though.

If it were minor, it would be using chords 2 3 and 6.

I'm thinking the song uses three chords in Key of G Major.
1 4 and 5 revolving around the second note of the G Major Scale (A) so it's A Dorian.

I'm probably way off and plan to continue to review modes more thoroughly.

That said a long time ago when I tried to learn guitar the first time and instructor told me that he considered
modes a waste of time as long as you knew your scales well. I didn't understand the comment and didn't query it at the time
as he moved away shortly after, but wonder what your thoughts might be ?

Dermot

Edit
Ionian = Based on C Major Scale Structure of whole and half steps = No sharps or flats = C to C
Aeolian - Natural minor scale A to A = No sharps of flats = A to A

The other modes are derived from starting on the other degrees of the Major and minor scales.
Dorian - Scale 2nd Degree
Phrygian - Scale 3rd Degree
Lydian - Scale 4th Degree
Mixolydian - Scale 5th Degree
Locrian - Scale7th Degree

thereshopeyet

Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:14 am

Neil

You may have missed my forum post above as it was last minute, but before the news was posted.
Struggling with modes :S

I Wrote:
......... a long time ago when I tried to learn guitar the first time an instructor told me that he considered
modes a waste of time as long as you knew your scales well. He returned to his home country shortly after so wasn't
with him long.

What might your thoughts might be regarding scales modes within the overall scheme of things ?
Dermot

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic