Barre Chords... hand and arm strength?

auntlynnie

Tue Feb 16, 2016 12:36 pm

I'm not sure where this question should go, but here's my concern. Even after 40-something years of playing, I still sometimes (more so recently) have trouble with Barre chords when I am fingerpicking. Neil does a great job of showing how you often don't have to play the entire chord, and just finger the strings you need for the notes you are playing and skip the strings you don't need. That helps a lot of course.

But recently I've been having more trouble, in spite of the hour+ practice I put in most days.
So I'm wondering if it isn't a matter of hand strength, but arm strength? Quite honestly, I'm less fit than I was a few years ago, and really haven't been working out and I'm thinking that I've lost a fair amount of strength in my arms. So, yes, I'm planning to increase my efforts at exercise, especially involving my arms (even if it doesn't help, it probably won't hurt, right?).

Anyone have any thoughts on this? Suggestions?

Lynn

fjeanmur

Tue Feb 16, 2016 1:22 pm

Hi Lynn,

I'm not sure I'm the one with a correct answer, but I can commiserate with you. I didn't know how to play barre chords before I came to TG three and a half years ago. But I started working on them right away. I know that the idea of putting down one finger at a time really did help.

I believe hand strength has something to do with it, but I don't think arm strength sounds right. It seems to be more of the thumb pushing up against the guitar neck and the fingers down on the fretboard and the neck sort of acting like a fulcrum. That's how it seems to me. And of course it's finding that bony area on the side of your index finger.

I decided to attack barre chords head on since January. I don't have trouble with fingerpicking nor with moving from one barre chord to another. For me, it's going from open chords to barres quickly enough because if I don't like the way I land it, I "futz" with it which I know I'm not supposed to do.

If I get to the IGC, maybe we can compare notes on how far we've come over the six months. Good luck!

wrsomers

Tue Feb 16, 2016 1:48 pm

Hi Lynn,
Hand and arm strength both have something to do with it. The hand strength has a lot to do with the left thumb (if you're right handed). I've found that as I get older playing barre chords bothers the lower joint in my thumb and one of the thumb tendons. Here's an interesting link about that:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/De_Quervain_syndrome

Also, the arm is definitely involved, specifically the biceps. I didn't realize the biceps was that active with guitar playing until I developed some pretty severe shoulder pain. My physical therapist told me my shoulder pain is coming from my biceps and the biceps is cramping (even though I couldn't feel it there) because of my obsessive guitar practice (I sometimes practice for several hours without taking a break). Keeping your arm bent at 90 degrees and pinching between thumb and forefinger actually works the biceps muscle (who knew?).

I would offer 3 points of advice.

1 - Strengthen your hand by squeezing a rubber ball.
2 - Do some moderate biceps curls.
3 - When using a barre, keep your left elbow closer to your side and your hand in proper position.

I hope this helps. I'm sure there are other tips out there. I would love to hear some of them. My biggest problem with barre chords is getting a clean note on the G string when I'm playing any minor 7th chord in the Am7 position. Usually I'll just play a full minor chord if it sounds OK.

Bill

dottmcse85630

Tue Feb 16, 2016 4:15 pm

I have been playing for close to 2 years now. Try to practice at least 30 minutes per day and up to 2 hours on the weekend with play-along's and other stuff.
I found that the play-along's have been the best training for me at least in muscle strength as well as muscle memory. I tried the rubber ball and few other techniques but none worked as well and as quick as just playing.
Two of my biggest issues with barre chords are gettin' the fingering correct at first. Second is pulling off during the final up-strum to the next chord, cannot seem to get a nice ring from the strings. Probably just my timing and speed as to when to hit the up-strum / pull off of the barre.
Regardless it sounds terrible, perhaps when I get a little quicker.

Dennis Ott

familyman4

Tue Feb 16, 2016 4:59 pm

Hello Lynn,

My response/ advise mirrors what Bill says (especially point #3. Arm position and thumb & hand position)

I would also like to add that playing the guitar while it is resting on your left Leg makes it easier to play barre chords for a lot of people. This is more of a classical guitar approach but might help you, especially if your hands is getting tired easily.

Good luck.
Bart

auntlynnie

Tue Feb 16, 2016 5:48 pm

Thanks everyone for the quick responses!

Jean - I, too, am determined to get past this and it is my big stumbling block at the moment. Your lever description makes sense, although I sense that the arm and shoulder seem to be involved because so many guitarists I know have shoulder problems - everything is connected somehow. And I sincerely hope we will get to compare notes at IGC in August!

Bill - I will definitely be doing some of the squeezing and biceps work.

Bart and Bill - I just tried the suggestion of placing the guitar on my left knee and that naturally brought my left elbow closer to my body, and yes, I had more strength playing the barre chords. Perhaps, like so many of my guitar playing problems - it is simply poor technique. :dry:

Dennis - I like your suggestion of playing to strengthen - I did that last year with a wrist problem and my wrist pain eventually disappeared.

Thanks all for you help - I'll post about my progress.

Lynn

auntlynnie

Tue Feb 16, 2016 5:48 pm

oops... somehow double posted.

Lynn

tombo1230

Tue Feb 16, 2016 6:16 pm

Hi Lynn,
I sympathize, I am trying to learn a song which is all barre chords at the moment and it is a killer, believe me.

Anyway, have you given any thought to maybe something has changed with your guitar? I know that extremes of hot and cold weather can alter
physically the action etc of a guitar,or central heating affecting the wood? just a thought.

Cheers,

Tom N

auntlynnie

Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:04 pm

Hi Tom,
Certainly, the guitar could be changing with the weather. The humidity fluctuates quite a bit inside of my house. I do use those inside-the-case humidifiers, but I'm having the same trouble making barre chords with most of my acoustic guitars, so I tend to think that it is probably "operator error".
I am going to have the most difficult guitar looked at to see if anything can be changed with the setup.
Thanks for the suggestion.
Lynn

wiley

Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:34 pm

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic