Barre Chords... hand and arm strength?

michelew

Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:06 pm

Great questions Lynn. And some good advice coming out here.

I go through periods where I focus on barre chords. I haven't been doing that for ages. My barres are a bit woeful at the moment (minor 7ths are the worst), especially as I've been playing nylon strings more. The more I play them the better they get generally. And I agree with Bill that barring does or at least can involve the bicep. In fact you can barre by using you arm (pulling the fretboard towards you) the applying the pressure without even having the thumb applying any pressure. When I'm playing a lot of barres, I often develop a callous on the side of my finger, which helps I think.

I use the classical position for playing. In addition to bringing it closer to you, raising the head of the guitar makes barres easier too.

It really is a combination of so many things and working out what the best combo is for your body and your style of playing is half the battle.

I'll be watching out for more good advice.

Good luck!

M

auntlynnie

Wed Feb 17, 2016 9:16 am

Thanks Michele,
This does appear to be a question that, like so many has answers specific to the person.
As often seems the case, technique is crucial, and as I've mentioned, so many years of playing without a teacher has allowed me to develop some bad habits.

I very much appreciate the group wisdom here - it's nice to see all these suggestions. The classical position has helped immediately, and focusing on playing barre chords, instead of finding ways to avoid them (my usual strategy) will like help me to improve. And it will be interesting to see what other suggestions TGers might have - who knows what else might help?

The motivation for all this is that I've started working on Windy and Warm by John D. Loudermilk. It has been on my want-to-play list for over thirty years. I had a friend who used to play it back then and I was always envious, so I guess now is the time, and also the time to master the barre chords.

fjeanmur

Wed Feb 17, 2016 3:45 pm

auntlynnie wrote:
Thanks Michele,
This does appear to be a question that, like so many has answers specific to the person.
As often seems the case, technique is crucial, and as I've mentioned, so many years of playing without a teacher has allowed me to develop some bad habits.

I very much appreciate the group wisdom here - it's nice to see all these suggestions. The classical position has helped immediately, and focusing on playing barre chords, instead of finding ways to avoid them (my usual strategy) will like help me to improve. And it will be interesting to see what other suggestions TGers might have - who knows what else might help?

The motivation for all this is that I've started working on Windy and Warm by John D. Loudermilk. It has been on my want-to-play list for over thirty years. I had a friend who used to play it back then and I was always envious, so I guess now is the time, and also the time to master the barre chords.
I'm glad that someone mentioned putting the guitar over your left knee. That's what I did instinctively when I started barre chords and I have not gone back to the other way. The guitar I'm using is way bigger that the one I had as a kid and using the left knee is the only way to manage it. As for "Windy and Warm"--go for it! And maybe I'll get mine brushed up before IGC.

auntlynnie

Wed Feb 17, 2016 6:23 pm

Jean,
That would be a fun one to play together. I'm guessing that Sandy can probably dust off her version of it, too!
Right, Sandy?
Lynn

fjeanmur

Wed Feb 17, 2016 6:33 pm

auntlynnie wrote:
Jean,
That would be a fun one to play together. I'm guessing that Sandy can probably dust off her version of it, too!
Right, Sandy?
Lynn
Sandy was the reason I decided to tackle it. It took me months, but it didn't turn out too badly. :)

auntlynnie

Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:16 am

Yes, Sandy often inspires me to try difficult songs. As do many of the other folks on TG.
Somehow, when a real person (i.e. not Neil...sorry Neil) tackles one of these songs, it makes it seem much more within my reach.
Lynn

willem

Fri Feb 19, 2016 5:32 pm

Hi lynn

I thought "what can i add" you know a bout the bony part of your bar finger, right? Well i noticed while practicing that I make also a little bow whit my bar finger, why, the bar finger does' nt have to bar all the strings 'cos you fret also with your other fingers,, if you bow your bar finger it is ease'r to make the bony part possible (for me).

Hope you understand.

Willem

thereshopeyet

Fri Feb 19, 2016 5:41 pm

Lynne Wrote:
I've started working on Windy and Warm by John D. Loudermilk. It has been on my want-to-play list for over thirty years.
I love this tune.
If it's any use to you Lynne, I posted the tab / notation so each section is on one page.

See here

Dermot

jimcjimc

Sat Feb 20, 2016 4:16 pm

Per Jean's request, here is the link to my working on the barre chord exercise called Lay,Lady,Lay (copied from the busking dylan thread:

and Daryl's comments:

Hey Jim, Definitely a work in progress. But that's OK. I have to say your strumming is great. Your arm and hand are nice and loose and you kept the rhythm going well. Your fretting hand however needs lots of work. But that's OK too. All those barre chords is quite challenging. Here's a suggestion for you to try.....

Go down to the 1st position, lay your 1st finger on the nut (pretend your 1st finger IS the nut) and practice going between an E chord and an Am chord. But focus on laying all 3 fingers of the chord down as a "single unit". And since the E chord and Am chord have the same "pattern" (just on different strings) pickup all 3 fingers as a "single unit" as well and move them over one string as a "single unit" to the next chord. Does that make sense? You can even practice that sort of movement without a guitar. That is, pretend to finger the Am chord with your middle, ring, and pinky fingers and then pretend to move them to the E chord. You should notice that the pattern stays the same but that your 3 fingers simply extend/reach out just a bit. And then pretend to go back to the Am chord and you'll notice that the 3 fingers simply retract just a tad. But remember to keep the chord shape "pattern" at all times.

I realize that Neil talks about laying one finger down at a time when forming chords. But in this case, with the song's strumming pattern you need to have the chord "formed" much faster. Good luck and keep practicing.

TGNesh

Sat Feb 20, 2016 6:52 pm

Hey Lynn,

I though Neil would get into this in the news, so wanted to leave it to him.

May I ask first, what is exactly the problem when you play barre chords? What is it that is not working for you?

Ness

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic