Figuring Out the Mode of a Song

Music Junkie

Sun Mar 27, 2016 12:40 pm

Hey all:

I am working out another song, and it is fairly simple. It only has three chords, D, G, and A. That would put it in the key of D, but the song is built around A. I think I am correct in saying it is in A mixolydian, but I would love it if someone could confirm that or set me straight...

Thanks,

Jason

auntlynnie

Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:40 am

I wish I knew, Jason. But I don't sorry.
I'm sure someone will help you out.
Lynn

TGNeil

Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:23 am

Hi Gang,

Sorry for the delay Jason, but you are correct. Every key signature has a set of all seven related modes. The key we call D Major has 2 sharps, F# and C#. We consider it Major if step 1, D feels like home and Minor if step 6, B feels like home. If any of the other 5 steps are home, it is in one of the other modes, each of which is tied to a step of the scale.

1. Ionian (Major) - D
2. Dorian - E
3. Phrygian - F#
4. Lydian - G
5. Mixolydian - A
6. Aeolian (Minor) - B
7. Locrian - C#

It's that simple!

Neil

Music Junkie

Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:33 am

Thanks, Neil!

I thought that was how it worked, I was just unsure if it would be considered D mixolydian, or A mixolydian. I went with A mixolydian, because A is what felt like home.

Although my ear is getting better, I still struggle with the whole "Home" thing sometimes. It's getting better though. Now, if I could just start to figure out picking patterns better..... I think for that I would really need to invest in something to slow things down a bit.

For this same song, I have the little lead figured out, but in trying to put it into GP, I am finding it very difficult to get the proper notation and note durations. Slowing it down would be very helpful for that as well. I might be investing in song surgeon this week! :P

Thanks again for the confirmation.

J

thereshopeyet

Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:12 pm

Jason
Great question.
It's ages since I thought about modes.

Neil
Thanks for the simple answer.
My small memory capacity :dry: :ohmy: might actually remember that !

Thanks

Dermot http://www.totallyguitars.com/images/fb ... 160328.zip

willem

Mon Mar 28, 2016 3:14 pm

Which song is it Jason?

B)

Music Junkie

Mon Mar 28, 2016 3:56 pm

Willem:

It is "Two Tickets to Paradise" by Eddie Money

Certainly not an acoustic classic, but a fun song just the same.

J

familyman4

Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:47 pm

Hey Jason, It's a small world I guess....

This is a picture from just last weekend. I saw Eddie Money in concert in Las Vegas with my brother. His children made up the band (all but the lead guitar player) they all did a great job and after the concert, he hung around and signed autographs. Which is how I got this picture. He still plays a mean saxophone!

Bart

Music Junkie

Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:25 am

Bart:

That is so cool. My wife and I saw him in Reno years ago, and it was a great concert. We got to meet him afterwards, and he signed a t-shirt that we bought. I really enjoyed his tunes when I was a kid. I know what you mean about the sax...lol

J

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic