theory question regarding key of a song

jayswett

Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:28 pm

Hi All,

I am learning a song by Blind Melon called Change. It's a 3 chord song with 3 major chords (A, G, D). Here is a link:

Two questions:
1) Regarding determining the key of this song, the fact that the song contains the three major chords of A, G, and D, the song should be in the key of D. Yet the song seems to revolve around the A chord and the A chord seems like home. Not sure how to reconcile this.

2) When strumming this song, I feel the need to add the "bounce" that Vanessa taught in a lesson 6 or 8 months ago. I can't seem to recall which lesson that was, and I'd like to review the lesson for that segment alone. I remember thinking at the time "yes, that makes sense" but am having trouble incorporating that "bounce" thing into this song. I think it's harder than it looks.

Thanks in advance.
Jay

7645slug

Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:03 pm

Hey Jay,

On the first question, it may be in A Mixolydian (sp?), which means a scale mode based on the 5th of the D scale rather than the root (A, B, C#, D, E, F#, G, A).

Hope that helps,
--tom

TGNesh

Wed Oct 19, 2016 4:59 am

Hey Jay,

Regarding your second question, you're right, there is a very thorough segment covering that bounce, which is in the Don't Answer Me/Alan Parsons Project lesson. It's a separate segment, no need to watch the other segments. Let me know how it goes!

Ness

thereshopeyet

Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:19 am

Vanessa

That's a great lesson on The Bounce - Don't Answer Me - Alan Parsons Project.

You also mention play the The Bounce in Decemberists - Down By The River- Part 3 - Dress It Up - 4 minutes in.
In the play through you also use it across open strings half way through the verse going from Em to Em.
"Down by the old main drag" ...... bounce ....... "I was just some ......" etc

Dermot

TGNesh

Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:33 am

Wow....you got some memory Dermot!!! :ohmy: :cheer:

And thanks!

thereshopeyet wrote:
Vanessa

That's a great lesson on The Bounce - Don't Answer Me - Alan Parsons Project.

You also mention play the The Bounce in Decemberists - Down By The River- Part 3 - Dress It Up - 4 minutes in.
In the play through you also use it across open strings half way through the verse going from Em to Em.
"Down by the old main drag" ...... bounce ....... "I was just some ......" etc

Dermot

jayswett

Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:44 pm

Thanks all. Will have a look at those lessons.

Not sure how the mixolydian scale relates to determining the key. Over the weekend, I will take a look at some of Neil's lessons on that.

unclewalt

Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:28 pm

jayswett

Sat Oct 22, 2016 5:09 pm

Thanks to Neil and UncleWalt for taking the time to explain this. I think I got it.

Also, will keep working on that bounce. Making progress after watching that Allan Parson project lesson again. As usual, my mistake was not slowing down at first, trying to play it up to speed right away. One would think that I would know better at this point, having watched several thousand TG lessons/videos over the last 5 or 6 years.

unclewalt

Tue Oct 25, 2016 4:56 pm

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic