learning a new one

dekotaj

Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:59 am

Thanks for watching

Kevin

BobR

Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:55 pm

Hi Kevin,
Nice performance all around. I really enjoyed the lead.

dekotaj

Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:03 pm

Thanks Bob

Been working on this one for about 4 weeks. Did not play it as clean as I would like. But I will just keep chugging along.

The best Sir
Kevin

heatndude

Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:45 am

Kevin,

Im not familiar with that song but you played it so well i watched the entire video with out changing the channel!

Great job on the lead at the end

Mark

tombo1230

Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:30 am

Nice job Kevin on an old classic. This song has a bit of history to it and is pretty well known amongst blues players I would say. It is said to be derived from a folk tune called 'The Unfortunate Rake,'

St James's Infirmary was first recorded by Louis Armstrong in 1929.

You are pretty much there, especially loved the solo playing, very nice indeed.

Thanks for posting.

Tom N.

dekotaj

Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:23 pm

Thanks for watching Mark. and for not changing channels.

"St. James Infirmary Blues", sometimes known as "Gambler's Blues," is an American folksong of anonymous origin, though sometimes credited to the songwriter Joe Primrose (a pseudonym for Irving Mills). Louis Armstrong made it famous in his influential 1928 recording.

"St. James Infirmary" is often said to be based on an 18th-century traditional English folk song called "The Unfortunate Rake" (also known as "The Unfortunate Lad" or "The Young Man Cut Down in His Prime"), about a soldier who uses his money on prostitutes, and then dies of a venereal disease. But the familiar recorded versions (such as Armstrong's) bear little relation to the older traditional song.

The title is said to derive from St. James Hospital in London, a religious foundation for treatment of leprosy. There is some difficulty in this, since it closed in 1532 when Henry VIII acquired the land to build St. James Palace.[1] Another possibility is the Infirmary section of the St James Workhouse, which the St James Parish opened in 1725 on Poland Street, Piccadilly, and which continued well into the nineteenth century.[2] This St James Infirmary was contemporaneous with the advent of the song.

As I was a-walking down by St. James Hospital,
I was a-walking down by there one day.
What should I spy but one of my comrades
All wrapped up in a flannel though warm was the day.

—"The Unfortunate Rake" (trad.)

Be good Kev

dekotaj

Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:39 pm

tombo1230 wrote:
Nice job Kevin on an old classic. This song has a bit of history to it and is pretty well known amongst blues players I would say. It is said to be derived from a folk tune called 'The Unfortunate Rake,'

St James's Infirmary was first recorded by Louis Armstrong in 1929.

You are pretty much there, especially loved the solo playing, very nice indeed.

Thanks for posting.

Tom N.
Thanks Tom, I found this song from watching Bill doing ( Pencil Thin Mustache. ) I was looking for it on you-tube. And ran across one of my favorite guitar players Doc Watson doing this song.

Not the same version or key I work it out in. There is a second lead section I need to put together. I will work on at another time down the road. Moving on to a new tune. A little hint.

The best Tom
Kev

michelew

Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:14 am

Great stuff Kev. I love the grittiness you're putting into it. It's a great song for your voice and very cool. Your solo especially.

Keep 'me comin'

X

Shel

dekotaj

Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:11 am

michelew wrote:
Great stuff Kev. I love the grittiness you're putting into it. It's a great song for your voice and very cool. Your solo especially.

Keep 'me comin'

X

Shel
Thanks Michelew.

As I was saying to Tom there is a second lead I hope to get put in some time down the road. Not a lot of notes in the first one. Next one will take a lot longer. It down the neck and a lot more moving around.

Thanks for watching
Hope life is treating you good
Kev

sandysue

Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:39 pm

Very cool song Kevin. Very nice on the guitar playing and singing. You sounded very bluesy :)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic