Chord books based on alternate tunings?

spinland

Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:08 pm

I know Doug Young has some books out on DADGAD (I have a couple of them) but I was wondering about, for example, chord listings for Open G tuning. I know it's possible to work out the fingerings using the notes, but some kind of ready reference guide would be way cool and much more convenient.

I found a couple of images on the intertubez with good info but would like to add actual books to my library if any such thing existed. Haven't had much luck searching.

Anyone have ideas or links or whatever? :side:

Mark

daryl

Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:01 pm

Do you have Doug's email address?

thereshopeyet

Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:06 pm

Mark

Interesting post.

I came across this link on the internet a while back:
All Tunings Pdf Download

There's Also :
An Alternate Tuning Dictionary
I haven't got it but it may interest you.
It looks quite good. The shortcut link takes you straight to the "Look Inside" sample.

Click on the blue text links above.

It would be interesting to hare from others and what their suggestions might be.

Dermot

spinland

Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:05 am

daryl wrote:
Do you have Doug's email address?
Unless I got a business card from him at Camp (I could search through my stack but I don't recall getting one) I don't, no.

Mark

spinland

Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:08 am

Great links, Dermot, thanks! It would seem my searching skills are...weak. :side:

Just bought the Kindle edition of that chord book and at first blush it's exactly what I was looking for: a convenient source for fingerings when I want to noodle around and experiment.

Many thanks again!

Mark

dougyoung

Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:45 pm

hey gang, you can always email me thru my website, doug at dougyoungguitar.com, or find me on facebook

There were some basic chord charts in the IGC handouts from past years for some basic tunings, Drop D, Open D, Open G, DADGAD, if I recall. I think those were posted here somewhere?

There's lots of good stuff on the internet, which it sounds like you've found. There are also some automated generators - type in a chord and it will show you various chord shapes. I don't have a favorite - I generally find my own chord voicings, but you should be able to find some by searching. Another option is Mark Hanson's book "The Complete Guide to Alternate Tunings". It's been around for ages, but it's a good overview of lots of tunings, and has a nice glossary of tunes in various common, and maybe not-so-common tunings.

spinland

Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:09 pm

Thanks, Doug!

Yo da Mang! I'll check out your suggestions post haste, and so happy you came by to respond. :side:

See you again at Camp next year?

Mark

ktrock1

Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:42 pm

In one song a couple of us are working on, the lesson wants us to tune oor B string up 5 half steps to e. I guess it depends on the string gage. Mine feels pretty tight even in standard tuning. Seems like it would snap before reaching e

thereshopeyet

Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:44 pm

ktrock1

That's an interesting question.
What song are you refering to? Five half steps sounds a lot, but then I haven't varied too much from standard tuning.
I think I'd be grinding my teeth with my eyes shut !
:blush: :S :blush:

Dermot

ktrock1

Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:51 pm

Dermot, its Name, by the Goo Goo Dolls.

Ken

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic