Chord Puzzles

TGNeil

Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:36 pm

Hi Gang,

Dermot's recent post on the thread announcing the lesson on Who Knows Where The Time Goes brings up a good question. Why does Guitar Pro come up with multiple names for chords? I relation to that lesson I may have even called the third chord in the song something different than I did in the teaser from 10 years ago, or in the lesson on Melissa by Gregg Allman.
A good place to start might be augmented or diminished seventh chords. What keys would you play on the piano for the following chords?

Eaug (E[sup]+[/sup])

Adim7 (A[sup]o7[/sup])

...and could those be called anything else?

Let's start with just some thoughts on that and let people work on it themselves for a bit.

Then maybe figure what chord the following notes are (or could be?).

G C A E

Neil

tombo1230

Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:34 pm

I will have a stab at the chord G C A E . C + E + G is a C chord so with an A added which is the 6th of the scale
It might be a C6, or it could be an Am7, A is the tonic, C is the flattened 3rd, E is the 5th and G is the 7th.

I think this is right?

Tom N.

TGNeil

Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:03 pm

tombo1230 wrote:
I will have a stab at the chord G C A E . C + E + G is a C chord so with an A added which is the 6th of the scale
It might be a C6, or it could be an Am7, A is the tonic, C is the flattened 3rd, E is the 5th and G is the 7th.

I think this is right?

Tom N.
Exactly Right!

And this is a fairly simple example. Next, what is another choice for the chord I called Emaj7 in Who Know Where The Time Goes? The hint is look for a chord with something other than the root in the bass.

thereshopeyet

Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:14 pm

Neil, below, I'm not sure .

Dermot

thereshopeyet

Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:35 pm

Neil Wrote:
Next, what is another choice for the chord I called Emaj7 in Who Know Where The Time Goes?
The hint is look for a chord with something other than the root in the bass.
Help !
Do you mean another chord choice or an inversion of the same chord ?
Not sure :blush: :S :blush:

:ohmy:

thereshopeyet

Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:35 pm

Neil Wrote:
Next, what is another choice for the chord I called Emaj7 in Who Know Where The Time Goes?
The hint is look for a chord with something other than the root in the bass.
Not sure how to approach the problem :unsure:
I take it you mean something other than G#m/ E, as you steered away from because of the low E, opting for EMajor 7, in Part 3 Chords?

I took a cheat look at GP6 Chord finder options :blush: ... Gee that's a lot of chord names .... is that for real ?

Dermot

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic