"time in a bottle" arrangement, what is important?

willem

Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:09 pm

Say you listen to a song such as "time in a bottle" where you hear two guitars but you want to play it alone but with the feeling of both guitars, so whats important or what would you do getting that feel,, on this moment is my thouhgt playing the intro like the second guitar,,

any thoughts?

Willem

familyman4

Sat Oct 06, 2018 2:21 pm

Hello Willem,

Personally, I think that you are on the right track with the intro. I feel like that same thought applies to any "hook" in the song. Like if there is a repeating bass line, or the main melody that is what people notice when they hear a song.

It is sometimes hard to play a song acoustically that in the original release there were 5 guitars playing the song. I think about Hotel California, or any Eagles song for that matter. When I play them, I try to play what has been the part that sticks in the listener's mind the most. "Time in a Bottle" is exactly the same. Maury Muehleisen was such a fantastic player that we hear a lot of what he was doing in the background on the second guitar. However, that part alone (unless it is the intro) would not take the listener into all of the melody of the songs. So, when there are empty spaces in a song, a solo artist can fill in with some of the second guitar parts and add some of that additional flavor to the song.

My two cents.....

Bart

michelew

Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:39 pm

Hi Willem!

My thoughts... well of course it depends whether you’re playing it live or on video.

If you want to hear both parts I’d learn both parts, record them and slice them together, or get a friend to play the other part one way or another... but then I rarely play live in front of people.... :). And I’m guessing you’re not looking for a technologically solution. :)

Bart of course has good advice, play the most distinctive bits.

I expect our resident Croce expert will be along sometime to tell you what he does.

It’s a beautiful song. If you record it, I’d love to hear it.

Michele

willem

Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:50 pm

Bart and Michele thx

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic